Sharp rifling remedy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Sharp rifling remedy?

The GPR barrel Lyman replaced under the recall has very sharp lands which are not just cutting patches, but flat blowing them out. The method I've used over the years has always worked, but I've discovered that some of the ways I learned to do things are not as good as some I read about on HPA.

What I do is a jewlers rouge stropping on an oily cleaning patch for 50 strokes each time I clean after a patch blowing shooting time untill it clears up. So far on this GPR barrel just shooting isn't making headway. Before I undertake this method like I had to on my Renegade years ago, I wanted to get the input of the muzzleloaders here. Best so far is four to six inch "groups" @ 50 yds.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 PM
The Man

What patch thickness are you shooting? Lymans like .018-.020. I use 0000 steel wool,jag, and oil. Patches should look like they could be reused when you got the right thickness. Groups should be less than 11/2" at 50 yds.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I started out with .015" Ox Yoke prelubed, but I wasn't getting the result I am looking for. Groups were sporadic, nothing I would call consistant. I tried the over the powder patch that often works, but not much improvement.

Went to the Craft Store and picked up .018 pillow ticking, washed out the sizing, and cut some 1 1/2" patches, then lubed them with olive oil. Actually saw some improvement, and much easier loading without swabing between shots. Two ranges I got respectable groups with an occational flier, then like someone thru a light switch, blown patches and four to six inch groups. Doesn't make any sense.

I have a theory the natural lube covered the sharp rifling with the seasoning build up it makes, and the Murphy's Oil Soap water bath along with the olive oil removed it. Groups had been getting decent, then went the other way. Even tried both .530, and .535 ball with the same result. Even tried a comparison shoot with one of my other flinters and that shot a five shot one ragged hole group((3/4").

I have xxxx steel wool on hand for polishing my frizzens, so your method is up next. Really hoping I manage to straighten it out before the after Xmas season. Thanks.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 12-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Arrow

This is what I have used, after the steel wool method, just may have to do it more then the direction say.
(Wish I knew how to get the photo right side up)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XvFCzAVfSu+C7rz8IGQY1g.jpg (840.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg uw4V2c91SmuKa3D+z0rX9g.jpg (1.04 MB, 5 views)

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Last edited by Retiredusne8; 12-08-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Heard good things about JB, just never tried it. That may be about to change!

No problem about the sideways image, I can't post ANYTHING, Elaine handles that for me, and hers come out laying on their side at least half the time too! It surely did as intended. Thanks again Rusty!
Retiredusne8 likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 AM
The Man

Might try the .020 pillow next. Make sure when buying pillow it doesn't have any polyester in it.That melts and gums up rifling.Getting harder to find 100% cotton pillow.Ask for a tiny sample and take outside and light with lighter. See if it burns or melts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Didn't know that! Going to head out back and light up a patch or two just to check. It would make sense of the way the grouping fell apart so fast. Thanks.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
Might try the .020 pillow next. Make sure when buying pillow it doesn't have any polyester in it.That melts and gums up rifling.Getting harder to find 100% cotton pillow.Ask for a tiny sample and take outside and light with lighter. See if it burns or melts.

Good catch 410=er.

Flintlock hunter I have never had this problem to this extent your experiencing. Have you tried backing off on your charge a little?

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Good catch 410=er.

Flintlock hunter I have never had this problem to this extent your experiencing. Have you tried backing off on your charge a little?
Well, the pillow ticking went up so fast I could easily use it for tinder in the fireplace, but without question a real possibilty which needed to be addressed.

As for the charge wts, I've tried 5 gr increments from 65gr all the way to 90 gr in both FFFG and FFG once this problem surfaced. 80-90 gr FFFG was giving the best results up to the time it started destroying the patches. I've recovered most of the fired patches, and they are all blown out since the problem surfaced. It is perplexing. I had two T/C's that needed smoothing, one settled in after some shooting, and the other was nettlesome, and the reason I was taught about jewlers' rouge polishing, but the polishing takes some time so you don't overdo it.

Wish I could do the polishing today, but I'll be tied up all afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 12-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:03 PM
The Man

50 yard 3 shots and my recipe.If you want the Moose Milk recipe let me know and Ill post it.

101_1321[1] by t410er, on Flickr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page