New Flintlock - Need Help!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New Flintlock - Need Help!!!

Hello All...Decided to get into flintlock hunting this year and purchsed a T/C Firestorm yesterday. I have a T/C X7 Omega which shoots very well and would like to use some of the same stuff to the flintlock? What I'm thinking is using the same 250gr Shockwaves and the same Triple 7 pellets. I would put a few grains of FFFF down the pipe first, (2) T7 Pellets, then Shockwave. If not this, what would you recommend? I'm pretty thick skinned, so don't be afraid to tell me I'm nuts.

Life's Too Short To Put A Price on Fun!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Re: New Flintlock - Need Help!!!

use loose powder
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Okay...you're nuts! Just kid'n Bronzeback. Give us some more info. such as caliber 45? 50? And if you plan on using any canistered real black powder like Goex or round balls etc.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Flintlocks don't ignite as hot as caps so you need to use loose powder.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

The Firestorm was marketed for use with pellets.
With that being said , I use loose black powder , 90 grains of it in mine.
Other than that I like the gun.
I've used the saboted hornady 240gr xtp then switched to 245gr power belts then switched to some 320? grain maxi hunters.
Round balls fly well also.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

It is 50 cal and I wanted to use the same 250gr Shockwave bullets that I shoot from my inline but if I need to get something else then I will. Maybe I'm trying to keep it too simple???

"hunterx".....Were you unhappy with the 240 hornadys and 245 powerbelts?

Life's Too Short To Put A Price on Fun!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a .50 cal Traditions PA pellet. Kinda similar to the TC-just not as nice... A few of my buddy's have the TC. They (2 of them anyway)seem to have a bit more trouble with the pellets then I do. They still use them though.
I shoot 2 777 pellets and a 240gr hornady hp/xtp .44 cal bullet with a sabot. I just put a tiny amount of powder from my pan primer in before my 777. I have almost, if not instant ignition.
No real difference from loose in my trials.
Patterns real nice out to 75-80 yards. After that my fiber optic sight is a little fat and my group opens up a bit. I can still kill a paper plate every time out at 100 though . Where ya at in NW pa?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzeback
It is 50 cal and I wanted to use the same 250gr Shockwave bullets that I shoot from my inline but if I need to get something else then I will. Maybe I'm trying to keep it too simple???

"hunterx".....Were you unhappy with the 240 hornadys and 245 powerbelts?
Yes and yes.
The 240xtp performed well on game and I use almost the same bullet in 44mag "Hornady states the muzzle loader bullet jackets are a bit thicker to stand up to the increased velocity as compared to their 240xtp marketed to pistol shooters", long story short ok , the sabots were causing me problems when it was cold outside , and again , long story short but that's what it has turned out to be.
And the power belts were blowing up almost on contact with the deer , this is a problem I discovered that many others were having but did not find out about the others until I was having the same issue.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 PM

I have a Firestorm and so does a friend of mine. I use Goex ff in the tube and ffff in the pan, and maxi hunters or maxi balls, very accurate for my rifle. My buddy uses pellets down the tube and I believe the Shockwaves, and he said he has no problem and says it ignites as fast as his old flinter that he used powder in. In your shoes I would try what you have, if you can afford it, purchse some loose powder and other rounds and have fun at the range! Just don't for get to write your loads down as you go, after 4-5 different type of loads, its easy to get confused.

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I shoot the shockwaves from my encore and wanted to keep it simple and shoot them from my Lyman GPR hunter barrel. Not good. Took my 1"- 1 1/2" (50yds) groups and spread them out to about 8". The rifle seems, IMHO, to pick the projectile.

Never tried the 777 pellets but get great ignition with 2f 777 with 5gr 3f bp in front of it topped with a 245 aerotip powerbelt. Did have an issue with the PB hollow points not getting good penetration but the aerotips have been great. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page