unconventional loads and jeager rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

unconventional loads and jeager rifles

anyone ever try any like chainshot,buck and ball,flechette out of any muzzleloader or muskets [ im aware the safety is hazardous with some loads and round types ] i was watching a video of course on youtube and for clearing weeds ive seen people load a thin piece of chain into the bore or like buck and ball ive seen used in the smooth bore muskets i know that some of these were used in war times also...ok folks im looking for a jeager rifle but before i purchase one anyone have any input for me? how did you like it or any problems? thanks!!

It's not time to be fashionable, its a time to be functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Re: unconventional loads and jeager rifles

If you have a jeager, such loads will ruin the rifling.

If you have a smoothbore, such loads may or may not work

The problem with chain and other such items is that they can catch on the least scratch of the bore, and become an obstruction themselves. Soft malleable lead shot can be "swaged" past such situations by the pressure of the charge. Other metals in chains are not so forgiving.

I'd save such loads for those who are willing to risk suicide for internet fame.

I have experimented with some lead loads, ie stacking 45 caliber lead discs as a load in a cap and ball revolver. It came out like a dozen tiny lead frisbees. But three considerations. 1) low pressures in a revolver, 2) lead was still the projectile and 3) if such a load hung up in the bore, the pressure could dissipate through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Re: unconventional loads and jeager rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
If you have a jeager, such loads will ruin the rifling.

If you have a smoothbore, such loads may or may not work

The problem with chain and other such items is that they can catch on the least scratch of the bore, and become an obstruction themselves. Soft malleable lead shot can be "swaged" past such situations by the pressure of the charge. Other metals in chains are not so forgiving.

I'd save such loads for those who are willing to risk suicide for internet fame.

I have experimented with some lead loads, ie stacking 45 caliber lead discs as a load in a cap and ball revolver. It came out like a dozen tiny lead frisbees. But three considerations. 1) low pressures in a revolver, 2) lead was still the projectile and 3) if such a load hung up in the bore, the pressure could dissipate through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.
no i dont have a jeager but i would love to have one!! yeah most of the loads are very unsafe im aware

It's not time to be fashionable, its a time to be functional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page