Hornady FPB - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hornady FPB

anyone try these bullets? I just got a pack to try in my inline, and there is no way these things are fitting into the barrel. They seem to want to start into my flintlock, but without a hammer, i really cant see them going into my inline. just wondered if anyone else tried them and had this problem. i guess the bore on my knight inline is just a tighter bore compared to my traditions flintlock. I was going to try powerbelts in it, but kind of second guessing that too. These are the bullet im referring to: http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB/

Silly Rabbit...Pumps are for Kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hornady FPB

I've heard of several hunters having the same problem with the FPBs. Apparently, IF, you can get them down the barrel they work pretty well but most guys have issues loading them. I use Hornady's SST-ML High Speed Low Drag sabots (red sabots) in 300 grain and love them. Hope this helps.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm new to the in-line M\L's but I have done some reading and the powder I tried and do like is the Blackhorn. Now, I did load up and shoot some Hornady 358 (45 cal rifle) 350gr. RN bullets with no success, but then I switched to using 100gr. of Blackhorn powder, a MMP 45cal 458-459 sabot, and the 458 Hornady 325gr. Flex-Tip bullet.

I got excellent accuracy right from the start from my ProHunter Endevor barrel. This picture is a 3 shot group at 100 yards. Now, I need to adjust the scope a bit, and plan on seeing what it will do at 200 yards, but I have a good feeling it will do well at 200 yards.

The bullet\sabot combo was easy to get down the barrel, (easy as compared to ???...but I didn't have to hammer it down after 4 shots with an un-swabbed barrel) but I have coming in some "crushed ribbed" sabots that should make the loading even easier. And they say these crushed ribbed sabots are very accurate as well.

FWIW....heres the 100 yard target:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
New Arrival

I tried the FPB hornady bullets in my TC impact, The barrel on the impact is an omega barrel. I had no issues. Using a peep sight with 90 grains of blk horn 209 i got 2 1/2 inch gp at 50 yds. I use this for hunting close and thick.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

after looking through the internet's millions of pages, i see that im not the only one with this problem. A lot of Knight rifles, but a lot of others as well. it just seemed like the bullet base was flared too much for my barrel. Maybe if i would have gotten it started it would of loaded easier, but it was still too much trouble to try to hunt with it.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwood
but then I switched to using 100gr. of Blackhorn powder, a MMP 45cal 458-459 sabot, and the 458 Hornady 325gr. Flex-Tip bullet.
So you used a sabot with this bullet?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-POW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwood
but then I switched to using 100gr. of Blackhorn powder, a MMP 45cal 458-459 sabot, and the 458 Hornady 325gr. Flex-Tip bullet.
So you used a sabot with this bullet?
Yes. Now, I'm talking about the 45 Caliber .458 Hornady Flex Tip 325gr. Bullet. Click that link and that's the bullet I'm using and I loaded it with the MMP Sabot.

I have some Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots coming via the BBT and from what I've read....these are just as accurate as the MMP's but even easier to load.

Not that the MMP's were all that difficult....but if these make life easier.....what the heck???

SW
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think the Hornady FPB bullet comes in 250 grains also...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Regular Visitor

Started using the 350 grain FPB bullet prior to an elk hunt in 2008. Killed some big wild hogs with that bullet. It knocks them dead on the spot. My Encore gives 2.5-3" groups at 100 yards using 120 grains of Goex 3F Pinnacle and the 350 grain FPB.

If your gun is a TC with the QLA or a CVA with the same feature loading is easy. Sit the bullet in the QLA and give the short starter a hard whack with the palm of your hand. That gets the bullet started in the rifling and its easy from there.

If your gun does not have a QLA then its much harder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page