What do you use in the pan/down the muzzle? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

What do you use in the pan/down the muzzle?

Just wondering what you guys use for powder in the flash pan vs what you put down the muzzle. I've heard alot of different combo's from different people. I want to have something that will have the lease amount of delay in my flinter. Thanks!

WMU 2G, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM

Re: What do you use in the pan/down the muzzle?

FF barrel and FFFF pan....GOEX.....goes off like a centerfire rifle

3D/3C/5C
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Where can you get FFFF? I cannot find it anywhere?

WMU 2G, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM

archeryman they have it in most outdoor shops here in monroe county

3D/3C/5C
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryman32
Where can you get FFFF? I cannot find it anywhere?
1 of Your Locations says Carlisle PA
Call Bass Pro in Harrisburg, Harrisburg, York and Shippinsburg Gander Mountains, West shore Guns in Marysville and some of the other shops around you....

Ask the if they have it, they do NOT set black powder out on the shelves any longer, it is kept in a back room somewhere!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 PM

yeah what Woodywoodduck said. Remember to bring your DL.

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott and stalk
+1

Born to hunt, forced to work!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott and stalk
+1
+2

If we ever forget that we're a nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Regan
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 PM

What is used down the muzzle depends a great deal on the caliber. Old general wisdom was 3fg for 45 caliber and under and 2fg for those calibers above 45 and once we get to 75 caliber muskets perhaps even 1fg. In addition, frontiersmen frequently used charges that were about the same as the caliber, ie 45 caliber 45 grains and a patched round ball. 50 cal and 50 grains.

With modern steel guns and MODERATE loads, 3fg can be used in even a 54 cal.

Problem is that Americans in general always figure that if some is good, more must be better. So we have guys posting threads that they use 5 gazillion grains of flubadub powder and get 48,000 ft per second velocity. So some guy with a cheap muzzleloader hand forged in the Khyber pass goes out and duplicates the load and blows half his face off.

For white tail in eastern hunting conditions, there is no reason to use more 100 grains in any modern gun. Even less in a 45 cal.

There is also a point of dimishing returns. ie the powder burns slow enought that it isn't all consumed before the ball/bullet leaves the muzzle. The remainder is wasted in muzzle flash and causes increased fouling in the bore. For many short barrels 24 to 28 inches, in 50 caliber, that is right around 80 to 90 grains of 2fg powder.

There is another consideration. How far will you shoot? Some folks want to boost velocity so they get flatter trajectory. But under 75 yards, it really doesn't make much difference on deer sized animals. At 100 yds it may make a difference, but as the ball reaches sonic speeds, it piles air up in front of it causing a sonic speed ball to start out faster but decelerates faster over distance than a sub sonic speed ball. According to Lyman's Black Powder handbook First Edition, An extra 50 % of powder at 125 yard is only about 10 or 15% faster than the ball that starts out slower, with less powder. So the long distance benefits of the extra powder are (1) partially wasted in muzzle flash and (2)nearly erased by the effect of air piling up in front of that higher speed ball.

Now most hunters using muzzleloaders are using 50 caliber guns. Compared to 2fg powder, 3fg will generally burn a bit hotter, faster and cleaner, and with higher pressure in a 50 caliber. Some folks will figure a slightly smaller charge of 3fg for their 50 cal, than when using 2fg. and that is wise.

So, for my 50 cal long rifle, I use 4fg in the pan, and 80 grains of 2fg in the barrel. In my 58 caliber smooth bore, I use the same, whether I am using patched ball or shot. In the 45 rifle I use a 70 grain charge of 3fg.

All of these guns have barrels over 36 inches.

If it is going to be rainy and wet, I mix a little Lycopodium powder with the primer powder. (maybe 5%) It makes water bead up on it without soaking in. If you dust the lock area of the barrel and lock with the powder water will roll right off.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
If it is going to be rainy and wet, I mix a little Lycopodium powder with the primer powder. (maybe 5%) It makes water bead up on it without soaking in. If you dust the lock area of the barrel and lock with the powder water will roll right off.
Great tip. What is lycopodium and where can you get it?

Born to hunt, forced to work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page