Muzzerloader bullet ?? gr. weigh?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Muzzerloader bullet ?? gr. weigh??

Just looking for ideas on bullets for in-line. should the bullet be 250 gr or a larger gr bullet like 290 or 300 gr. Looking for something for deer and bear. Brand I'm looking at is Barnes spitfire T-EZ. Rifle is a CVA.
Looking for a good place to start a load. Will be using white hot if it works out in rifle. ideas. I didn't know their was so many choses to make. Thank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 PM

I might get roasted a little for this opinion, but here we go:

Dollar for Dollar, you really can't beat Hornady XTPs in 250 or 300gr and some Harvester sabots. Bought in bulk, you can get to about 35 cents (sometimes less) per shot plus powder & primer.

I have an Optima V2 that shoots the .430 300gr and .452 300gr XTPs equally well, pushed by 100gr 777 (pellets). Since they group the same, I decided on the .430 for the ever-so-slightly flatter trajectory and higher sectional density. (Deeper penetration).

Have yet to have a deer go more than 20 yards, most drop within feet of impact. Could drop them all in the tracks if I felt like a high-shoulder shot, but I don't like wasting meat.

Not knocking Barnes at all, they're great bullets and have a proven track record. But like many of the "specialty" or blister-pack bullets out there, the $1+/bullet cost just isn't justified to me...

Ultimately, you'll be best served by trying a few different bullets and powders, see what your gun likes, then choose what meets your tastes/needs.

Lastly, if you feel the need to try out PowerBelts, don't touch any less than the 295gr offerings in the "Copper" line. The Aerolites and Platinum lines are decent, but with any PowerBelt, you're back over $1/bullet unless you find a screaming bulk deal. They sure do shoot nice, but are WAY overpriced and when pushed too fast (Copper series at least), have mediocre to poor performance.
bohunr and 325wsm like this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 PM

I just switched to the Hornady 250 gr. SST with the high speed load drag sabot and they shoot circles around the Barnes bullets I was using. They're also a fair amount cheaper. They shot so well I'm going to stock up in case they quit making them. I'm using 100 gr. of 777 and its out of a CVA Accura MR. And I know some people have good results I hate Powerbelts in any variation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 PM

I shoot 250 gr SST also, with 110 grain of loose 777. Works well on deer, I have always gotten an exit hole with this combination. And good accuracy. Every gun is different, shoot for accuracy, with a good game bullet.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

300gr xtp for me with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM

How hard is it to load sabots??? I've never touched one. Seems like they are often pretty tough going down when I see guys load them.

I have a fast twist barrel and shoot full bore Thor's. Full bore Barnes bullets. Expensive? Yep. But, they are fit to my bore and I have them sized to load with some effort but not a ton. Accurate as all heck. And...it's a 50cal tipped Barnes bullet.....they do well on critters. After sighting in, I don't shoot them at paper so expense doesn't really bother me...

Just curious about sabots. I went with them just because I've watched a number of guys struggle with loading sabots.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

250 XTP’s MMP sabots 46 grains of 4227 out of my Savage. No tracking required.
bohunr likes this.

Boom! Boom! Boom!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mauser,you are wasting a lot of money for nothing... I have the discontinued TC PTX bullets and sabots I am shooting out of my 50 caliber TC Omega...I can hit the head of a pin at 100 yards with it...100 grains of loose Triple 7...
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
How hard is it to load sabots??? I've never touched one. Seems like they are often pretty tough going down when I see guys load them.

I have a fast twist barrel and shoot full bore Thor's. Full bore Barnes bullets. Expensive? Yep. But, they are fit to my bore and I have them sized to load with some effort but not a ton. Accurate as all heck. And...it's a 50cal tipped Barnes bullet.....they do well on critters. After sighting in, I don't shoot them at paper so expense doesn't really bother me...

Just curious about sabots. I went with them just because I've watched a number of guys struggle with loading sabots.
Varies maker to maker, barrel to barrel. But sabots are available in different formulations and thicknesses to account for differing bore dimensions.

If I try to load my XTPs in MMP 12 or 24 sabots, it's a rough time, especially after the first shot.
If I use Harvesters (smooth or crush-rib) it's much easier, on par with a proper patch and roundball combination.
The thing with sabots is tighter is usually better from an accuracy standpoint, so you want the fit that balances loading force with reasonable effort. Too much force required also has a tendency to deform your projectile, bend/break ramrods, and generally be a P in the A.
It shouldn't be a struggle with the right sabot for a given bullet/barrel. Should be smooth, steady pressure. On par with what it takes to load your Thor's, but not as easy as say a PowerBelt.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Regular Visitor

Harvester Scorpion PT Gold 300gr - comes with black crush rib sabot. 77gr by weight Blackhorn 209. Thompson Center Strike. 1 inch groups at 100yds. TC barrels are consistently .501/.502 - it's perfect setup for bear or deer.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page