Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
for a good budget inline a cva wolf is a good starter gun
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
Should I go with the CVA or Traditions kit including the scope?

I started muzzleloading nearly 40 years ago, used caplocks back then. When I decided to try flintlocks, (which obviously I like a lot), I bought a Traditions PA Pellet for my "entry level" flinter.

Traditions makes a fine and dependable muzzleloader, accurate beyond your needs IMO. The PA Pellet needed some lock tuning, which is normal, but the caplocks should be fine without a lot of tweaking. I would look into the Traditions, and my second choice, still a good one, is CVA, on entry level guns.

Good luck. Hoping this was a help.
bohunr likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Part of the Community

T/C Impact or look for a used Omega or Triumph. They don't get shot that much and the bore is easy to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here's my advice on in-lines:

I have a T\C Encore with a 50 cal barrel. After trying many load\powder\bullet combo's including MMP sabots, T\C sabots with 44 cal bullets, MMP's with Nosler .458 Ballistic Silvertips, and trying many different bullet weights...here's what worked the best:

The best in my rifle with .458 Hornady 325gr gummy tips....100gr Blackhorn 209 powder.

My hunting buddy has a Traditions in-line and we found that the Nosler .458 Ballistic Silvertip and 100gr. Blackhorn 209 is wicked accurate in his.

My point is I dunno if you can make a "bad" choice of in-lines. But load development and testing is going to be key in your rifles maximum accuracy.

I hope this helps!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 AM

@BamBam
Did you make a decision/purchase?
Season starts in 4 days, hoping you've found one and done some shooting to get familiar and dialed in.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Part of the Community

remember if your going out early season you have a muzzle loading stamp, Why not get a flint lock then you have a 2 season weapon.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Part of the Community

Why not buy both. This state is backwards and this is one of the things that is upside down. Don’t get me wrong I like my flint lock . Front stuffer maybe a fowler
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Regular Visitor

I consider the CVA Accura MR a lower cost high value for an In-Line. I like the Encore but I wouldn’t say it’s a budget gun. If it wasn’t hunting season they can be bought used at a good price. I don’t remember what I paid for the MR but think 450 ish. It’s actually been more accurate than the encore and doesn’t seem picky on loads or I just got lucky the first load I tried.

I would look for something with a decent trigger and a speed breech plug. I’ve had some that required a tool and even bolt action In-Lines. I really prefer the hand removable plugs.

If you do decide on an MR I’d avoid the Cerakote models and look for a nitride. I think after the first year all were nitride finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page