Weight or volume - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Weight or volume

This is tricky. When you measure a load for an inline or traditional muzzleloader do you use the weight of the charge or volume? Reason I ask is I noticed a difference today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:30 PM

When you're using BP or substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple7, you measure by volume. (Or volume equivalent if pellets)
Pretty sure there's load data for Blackhorn 209 for both weight and volume... I haven't played with it yet, so I'm not certain...

The few rifles out there that can handle smokeless (I refuse to jump in that game) are by weight only.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:34 PM

With what powder????? Black powder has a certain density which tends to be fairly uniform from maker to maker and grade to grade. So you measure by volume the equivalent of 60 grains of black powder. You actually get about 60 grains by weight of black powder. Fake black powders are made to be measured by the same volume equivalent as black powder, but some are substantially less in density. So a 60 grain black powder volume of Pyrodex might only actually weigh 35 grains. What ever black powder or black substitute you use (except for pellets) use the black powder volume measure, even if the fake powder weighs less. A few of the fake powders are significantly more powerful than black powder and sometimes folks use 15% less VOLUME of Pyrodex to equal the same oomph as black powder.

How close you measure is to actual weight of real black powder can also vary a lot from one pour of powder to the next. Always tap the side of the measure and get the powder to settle to get the most consistent measuring from shot to shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen View Post
With what powder????? Black powder has a certain density which tends to be fairly uniform from maker to maker and grade to grade. So you measure by volume the equivalent of 60 grains of black powder. You actually get about 60 grains by weight of black powder. Fake black powders are made to be measured by the same volume equivalent as black powder, but some are substantially less in density. So a 60 grain black powder volume of Pyrodex might only actually weigh 35 grains. What ever black powder or black substitute you use (except for pellets) use the black powder volume measure, even if the fake powder weighs less. A few of the fake powders are significantly more powerful than black powder and sometimes folks use 15% less VOLUME of Pyrodex to equal the same oomph as black powder.

How close you measure is to actual weight of real black powder can also vary a lot from one pour of powder to the next. Always tap the side of the measure and get the powder to settle to get the most consistent measuring from shot to shot.
zimmer- I'm on the edge of getting started if I can get this barrel clear of fouling and minor rust (lots to learn). What do you mean by "fake powder"?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The old TC books always said measure by volume... Supposedly if you measure the new substitute powders by weight you get a 20-30% increase over a volume measure...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I measured 80 grains by volume of American Pioneer powder and it blew the bolt back on my Knight rifle to the cocked position. It's a plunger type bolt. I went home a weighted the 80 grains by volume on my powder scale it it was showing 62 grains weight. I called Knight and asked what was the recommended load for this rifle. They said 110 grains weight. NO WAY am I going to try that one. Guy said the rifle was designed for triple 7 powder. Does Triple 7 not burn as hot? I guess I better try some different powders.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:40 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I measured 80 grains by volume of American Pioneer powder and it blew the bolt back on my Knight rifle to the cocked position. It's a plunger type bolt. I went home a weighted the 80 grains by volume on my powder scale it it was showing 62 grains weight. I called Knight and asked what was the recommended load for this rifle. They said 110 grains weight. NO WAY am I going to try that one. Guy said the rifle was designed for triple 7 powder. Does Triple 7 not burn as hot? I guess I better try some different powders.

If the person you talked to said 110 grains weight, they didn't know what they were talking about. BP and all BP substitutes are ALWAYS measured by volume, not weight. Below is straight out of a Knight manual (bold mine):

Never exceed the recommended maximum powder charge for your Knight muzzle-loader Please see individual models for recommended load limits of Black Powder FFg, or industry approved black powder substitute by volume or its equivalent for Knight RiflesSee your specific rifle’s page for maximum powder charges
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 AM
The Man

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
If the person you talked to said 110 grains weight, they didn't know what they were talking about. BP and all BP substitutes are ALWAYS measured by volume, not weight. Below is straight out of a Knight manual (bold mine):

Yup.
Laylow likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Part of the Community

I switched over to Blackhorn 209 from T7 pellets and I find that weighing produces the best shot after shot accuracy. When I first started working up a load, I verified by volume to be safe. The max charge for Blackhorn is 84 grains by weight which should be 120 grains by volume depending on which volumetric tube you use, which is one of the problems with volume measurements. My current charge is 77 grains (weighed in grams out to 3 decimals = 4.990) with a 250 grain Hornady SST and Harvester short sabot. I'll weigh out the charges in small glass vials before going to the range or out in the field.

The main thing about measuring by volume is to be consistent. If you tap the volumetric tube to allow the powder to settle before loading (especially blackhorn because of the cylindrical shape of the granules), you should repeat this procedure for each load to be consistent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.JPG (91.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2678.JPG (819.7 KB, 4 views)
Laylow likes this.

Last edited by JM59; 08-30-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page