Was a bit surprised - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Was a bit surprised

I am a die hard archery hunter but I respect all forms of hunting. My step-father past away a few years back and he has a 50 sitting in the gun cabnet. So consdiering I have time and still a tag to use I thought I would go to the range and shoot some. Then I remembered that you had to buy the ML stamp before a certain date or so I thought. I am glad they changed it just for the simple fact I stumbled onto some time when it is in season and I feel using this gun would feel good, getting a shot/deer would be real good, but I know its not that easy. It is a traditions 50. Any help as far as powder amounts etc etc would be greatly appreciated. I would like to shoot sabots if poss. I am pretty sure it has a 1/48 twist. also can I shoot pellets with it?

Aim small miss small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Was a bit surprised

i shoot pa. conicals, out of my tradition. 80gr. 3fff. with good results. have fun and enjoy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

245 or 290gr power belts (aerotips). 90-100 2f bp with 4f in the pan. This is the simple way to get started. Have friends who hunt with various Traditions 50's and they use the above. Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLuck
I am a die hard archery hunter but I respect all forms of hunting. My step-father past away a few years back and he has a 50 sitting in the gun cabnet. So consdiering I have time and still a tag to use I thought I would go to the range and shoot some. Then I remembered that you had to buy the ML stamp before a certain date or so I thought. I am glad they changed it just for the simple fact I stumbled onto some time when it is in season and I feel using this gun would feel good, getting a shot/deer would be real good, but I know its not that easy. It is a traditions 50. Any help as far as powder amounts etc etc would be greatly appreciated. I would like to shoot sabots if poss. I am pretty sure it has a 1/48 twist. also can I shoot pellets with it?
Which Traditions Flinter is it?

I have the Deerhunter...

I shoot 350 grain maxi-hunters with 100 grains of FFF behind it with about 5 grains of FFFF in the pan...

At 50 yards(BEFORE I lost my rear site) I could shoot 5 shot groups that were about the size of a deers heart!

I tried many different grains of FFF, Starting from 70 grains and working up to 100 grains..I found that the 100 grains gave me the best groupings!

Take it out and work up a load with the bullets you intend apone using...each person is different with a flinter!!

I know when I first got mine, everyone on here told me to start out with 70 grains and work from there...my 1 buddy Mike has a PA Pellet Rifle, he only uses 80 grains in his with a patched round ball and makes the same groups as I do at 50 yards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page