Minimum charge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Unread 08-11-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What is the minimum charge you would use ethically for deer? I’ve always used 100 grains of BH209 just because my gun shoots pretty good with that amount. I’m hoping to have time in the next couple weeks to tinker around with the load some and was going to try going down before I go up. So what’s the minimum for deer to 100ish yards?

And this would be for an in-line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Unread 08-11-2019, 08:08 PM
The Man

Most guns have a sweet high spot and a sweet low spot in powder charges.
I have 2 small frame TC Senecas in 45 cal.One is set up with maxis and the other RBs.Both get a charge of 50grs.Killed deer with both with never finding a RB or maxi in the deer.Pass thru with lung shots.I also have a 58 cal that likes a high end load of 120grs.Killed deer with it and they were no more dead when shot with the 45's. Know guys on another form that kill deer with .32 cal and another that years back used a 36 cal on elk.it's MORE the person behind the gun than the caliber or powder charge.A bad hit is still a bad hit regardless of how big that bullet/RB and powder charge is.It's that 1st shot out of a clean bore that matters.
NOTHING lives with a hole in the heart or lungs no matter what caliber or projectile used!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Unread 08-11-2019, 11:31 PM
New Arrival

Me and my daughter have had great success over the years with a TC Cheap Shot and 40 grains of 3f Triple 7. The 240 grain lead hollow point gets 1350 fps ( chrono'd) and has taken deer from 15 feet to 125 yards.
Its like shooting them with a 44 Magnum handgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Unread 08-12-2019, 05:44 PM
New Arrival

What are you shooting 50cal,54cal,62cal need to know that for starters but in my 50cal flintlock 60 grain Black powder with 490 round ball
50 cal inline 80 to 100 gr black powder not that substitute stuff with 240 sabot bullet your gun will let you know when you found what it likes. Rule of thumb use to be your caliber plus 10 for starters then work up a charge from there.hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in