XTP for new season? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

XTP for new season?

So, I blunder around with an old traditions pursuit LT during inline season very seldom but I am planning on taking this season a bit more serious now that bear is included. I have only shot 2 does with powerbelts that were broadside lung shots so have little real world experience to go on. Not my usual season for hunting. Thinking of filling my doe tags early and going for the wishful thinking of getting a shot at a bear now the regs have changed.
Just ordered a Traditions Vortek StrikerFire with a 28" barrel and 1:28" twist because it was on sale at midway....
I reload pistol calibers and trying to decide on what bullet to use since I have them on hand....if the gun likes it.
Given:
Pyrodex pellets because I have a bunch (2 or 3? prefer 2)
Harvester crush rib sabots as have them in both .44 and .45 for .50 cal
Choice:
.430 xtp 240 gr
.430 xtp 300 gr
.452 xtp 250 gr
.452 xtp 300 gr (not mag)
Interested in opinions about the 4 bullets listed as far as were there exit wounds that were not "pencil hole in and out" and what you would choose for a bear\deer bullet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

which ever combo shoots the best for you and the gun. shot placement is the most important thing to worry about, they all look like they would work fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
which ever combo shoots the best for you and the gun. shot placement is the most important thing to worry about, they all look like they would work fine.
Either of the 300gr.

I use the .430 and love them on both deer and bear. Never a failure to exit, and definitely adequate expansion.

Use whichever of the 300's your gun prefers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've used hornady SST's and FTX bullets for the last couple of years but I've never been super happy about their performance. I switched to a bullet made by a small business. The company is called fury bullets and I shoot the star tips. I shoot them in sabots in my cva optima and sabotless in my smokeless muzzleloader.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

burning soul,please tell us about the performance on your ftx bullets you used??? What gun used and did you measure velocity on them???
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
burning soul,please tell us about the performance on your ftx bullets you used??? What gun used and did you measure velocity on them???
Burk, I never measured velocity on them but I was shooting them with 105 grs of 777 out of a CVA Optima Pro. This was the most accurate load out of this rifle which was right around 2 inches or so at 100 yards. I've shot 4 does and 1 buck with that load and they never seemed to expand just kind of pencil through them.

My new muzzleloader is smokeless and its just kind of echelons above normal muzzleloading in every way so its probably not fair to compare them. I have a load worked up for the cheaper FTX's in my smokeless MZ and maybe it will perform better now thats its being pushed around 2700 FPS but I dunno. I really like the fury bullets though.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Banned

Those Fury's sure look nice, but I question if they kill 'em that much deader to justify the $1+ a piece price... I suppose if you're pushing the envelope, sure, but for most muzzleloader hunters?

The FTX bullets really need a muzzle velocity of 1800+ fps to expand reliably, so I'm not surprised they tended to pencil...

The XTPs have expanded nicely in my experience. An exception would be using a lighter XTP over a "magnum" load, then over-expansion could be a concern. But if you stick to a standard XTP with "normal" charges, you won't have any issue. At $15/50, they're a bargain.

My personal preference is to go heavy, even if it's on the slower end of the spectrum. 300gr .430 XTP out of my Optima V2 chrono's an average of 1620 fps pushed by 100gr 777.
100% pass through rate on every deer taken (9 for 9 to date with it) All double-lung/heart shots, 60-150 yards. Blood trails Ray Charles could follow, but none made it more than 60', half didn't make it 15'. Never recovered a bullet, but exits were typically close to 1" in diameter.
Loggy and burninghxcsoul like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Blood trails Ray Charles could follow,
Wait.....isn't Ray Charles dead?
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Wait.....isn't Ray Charles dead?
Oh, yeah.... Well, I guess I should say Stevie Wonder could follow 'em.
Steeltrap likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage

In the XTP's out of a 1-28 bbl I favor the .452 300 grain:

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page