• 2 Post By Wingatchtochwilsit
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter
  • 1 Post By Wingatchtochwilsit
  • 1 Post By 410-er

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Round ball out of in line

I've been shooting round ball muzzle loaders since 1970. In Lines have me perplexed. I think I know the answer but just throwing this out. Can you shoot a patch and ball or buffalo bullets with out a sabot out of an in line ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

YES patch and ball just like an old timmy muzzleloader--can also use real black powder--
Laylow likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Banned

You can shoot round ball from an inline, BUT there's a few tricks to getting it to work.
You'll need to know the twist rate. Round ball doesn't like to spin too fast and group well at the same time.
You'll find that if you drop your charge way down, you can produce good groups with round ball from a faster twist barrel... How far down will depend on your barrel.

A buddy of mine shoots round ball from an old, sorely neglected Optima Pro that he salvaged... hunts with it, loads PRB over 60gr of 3f. Groups about 3" at 100 yards but he won't shoot a deer past 75 with it. If he takes it up to 70gr, the "groups" are 8-12" and just get crazy above that. Serious curveball effect from 1:28 barrels.

One other concern from newer inlines is the their rifling depth. Most were designed with sabots in mind,and might not have rifling cut deep enough to engage well on prb..
This could actually work to your advantage in a fast twist barrel, as it might not "over spin" the ball... but I wouldn't count on this effect. It would be luck if it worked in your favor.

The buffalo bullets would give you better results than round ball, heavier/longer the better.
Laylow and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The buffalo bullets would give you better results than round ball, heavier/longer the better.[/QUOTE]

Using buffalo bullets are they lubed or plan or with a patch or cup ?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
You can shoot round ball from an inline, BUT there's a few tricks to getting it to work.
You'll need to know the twist rate. Round ball doesn't like to spin too fast and group well at the same time.
You'll find that if you drop your charge way down, you can produce good groups with round ball from a faster twist barrel... How far down will depend on your barrel.

A buddy of mine shoots round ball from an old, sorely neglected Optima Pro that he salvaged... hunts with it, loads PRB over 60gr of 3f. Groups about 3" at 100 yards but he won't shoot a deer past 75 with it. If he takes it up to 70gr, the "groups" are 8-12" and just get crazy above that. Serious curveball effect from 1:28 barrels.

One other concern from newer inlines is the their rifling depth. Most were designed with sabots in mind,and might not have rifling cut deep enough to engage well on prb..
This could actually work to your advantage in a fast twist barrel, as it might not "over spin" the ball... but I wouldn't count on this effect. It would be luck if it worked in your favor.

The buffalo bullets would give you better results than round ball, heavier/longer the better.
There you go, exactly right. The faster twists of the new inlines require a longer, heavier bullet, or pretty light charges for target work. If the reasoning for trying a different projectile is reasonable grouping, possibly a different powder, Pyrodex, Goex2F or 3F, or some other powder with a different burning rate will give you what you are looking for. Example: Elaines Thunderhawk was only capable of 3 inch groups at 50 yds with 2F, but Pyrodex select under a 250gr SST grouped 1 1/2inches at 100 yds.
Laylow likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Using buffalo bullets are they lubed or plan or with a patch or cup ?
If we're talking the Buffalo Bullets (brand name) "Ball-ETS", they come pre-lubed...
There's other similar short connicals out there that come lubed or dry. I'd prefer to lube them myself, but the Ball-ETS do work.
Can't say I've tried them in an inline, but did play with them from my flintlock. They perform, but I just stick w/ PRB in it. Cheaper and more consistent.

If I were to plink w/ my inline, I'd seriously consider trying roundball as a cheap alternative to my normal load, but if I'm plinking with a muzzleloader, it's the flintlock.
Laylow likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 PM
The Man

Trick is thinner patch and less powder.
Your rate of twist determines more volume of powder than projectile.My TC with 1:48 shoot just as tight groups as my Lymans with 1::60(1:66) BUT my Lymans can burn more powder and still retain accuracy.My TC Cherokee in 32 cal has a 1::30 twist and RB's, .010 patches, and 20grs are deadly on squirrel heads.
Laylow likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM
New Arrival

You can shoot balls in a sabot too.
You'll lose a lot of caliber, but a .457 ball in a Harvester smooth or short mmp, will surprise you. Used to shoot them from a Knight American .50 cal with a 1-28. 3 inch groups at 100 yards with 70 grains of 3f Swiss. That's about twice as far as a 45 ball should be used on a deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page