New to Flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New to Flintlock

Hey guys,

Been diehard archery guy for 20+ years but am thinking about a flintlock for this upcoming season. I'm probably going to purchase in July so I have plenty of time to practice and be comfortable with it. I'm thinking .54 caliber. I'm looking for recommendations on a good reliable flintlock and what are things to look for and what to avoid. If the flintlock world is anything like the archery world I know I'm opening myself up for a million opinions and I'll still have to wade through that. But what do you use and why?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Kind of a wide open question. You can probably pick up a used T\C flinter for $250 or so. The T\C's are pretty reliable. I have a Hawken in 50 caliber that I've taken about a billion doe with.

Now, if your budget is more you can look at a place like Track of The Wolf. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/...1?PageSize=100 There better flinters start at about $1,500 and go up into the thousands more.

They also have T\C's there but more costly than a private owner.

I built one of ToTW kit rifle's about a year ago. I probably have $700 into the rifle but it's a much better product than a factory T\C. Better wood, better lock, better trigger. This one is a .54 caliber and I took a doe with it in January.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the surface of a very deep rabbit hole.

Like SteelTrap said, you can get into the game for a pretty inexpensive amount of investment, but once you find a taste, it's very easy to start sinking big $$$.

I use a homemade hawken 50 cal I built from parts scrounged and donated while I was working with a BSA Camp 20+ years ago. It's not pretty, but it's been 100% reliable and has put meat in the freezer.

Every now and then I lust after a custom long rifle, but there's just too many memories tied to the hawken to not take it out every January.

Last edited by Wingatchtochwilsit; 06-19-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention caliber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 PM
The Man

I gave up archery 30+ years ago for muzzleloaders.Had as many as 19 muzzys at one time but have since cut back a little.
You NEED a trip to Dixons and a trip when the gunmakers fair is also a good idea.

Dixons Muzzle Loading ? Muzzle Loading Shop ? Kempton, PA

Here is also some real good info on muzzleloading.

M/L Basics
jimsdad likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys! I want quality but not looking to get into another super expensive hobby. I already have custom recurves and I love guitars! I also love my wife so spending a $1000 right now into another hobby may not be my best decision. What's everyones thoughts on the Lyman Deer Stalker?

Thanks for all the resources you all have now occupied the rest of my day!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Part of the Community

Lyman has had a few recalls last couple of yrs. But their .50 cal. great plains rifle was some of the best I have ever shot against , very accurate with patched round ball, and reliable.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I got caught up in that recall thing, but Lyman did make good on it. Also ended up replacing the lock with an L&R, and now its a great gun. Great Plains 54 Cal round ball gun.

Best bet is to tie up with someone playing this game for a while. There are a lot of little things that make a big difference in the long run.

As a lot of the guys on the forum suggest, see the Muzzleloading Festival at Dixons Muzzleloading in July. If nothing else you can really learn a lot, and if the money isnt a problem you could get one of the excellent gunmakers to build you a dependable flinter.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
I got caught up in that recall thing, but Lyman did make good on it. Also ended up replacing the lock with an L&R, and now its a great gun. Great Plains 54 Cal round ball gun.

Best bet is to tie up with someone playing this game for a while. There are a lot of little things that make a big difference in the long run.

As a lot of the guys on the forum suggest, see the Muzzleloading Festival at Dixons Muzzleloading in July. If nothing else you can really learn a lot, and if the money isnt a problem you could get one of the excellent gunmakers to build you a dependable flinter.
I would agree with a trip to Dixon’s. The fair is a a lot of fun and you can look at tons of more budget minded options in his shop, which is open at the time too.

The only hitch is you won’t get much individual attention from the staff because of how busy it is.

Any other time (at this point I’d say after the fair is over), you usually will have the shop to yourself and get answers to any question you want to ask.

Or any of a bunch of us from HPA will be at the fair and can help a new person into the hobby.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks again. Sounds like a trip to Dixon's is in order. I've also heard good things about the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. Just like archery I'm sure it's not traditional enough for some but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I believe you can fire it both with blackpowder and round ball and with pellets and sabot's.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

You can fire roundball, Pa Conical's (Hornady makes these), and a modern bullet with a sabot out of any flintlock. From what I've seen....and I don't claim to know it all.....is the twist rate on the 50 cal Traditions is 1-48.

Now, a lot of people may be, but I'm not a fan of the 1-48 twist. I replaced my T\C Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel of 1-70. My .54 Cal is also a Green Mt. 1-70 twist.

What I have found is the deeper the groves in the rifling the better\more\easier the follow up loading is to do. My factory T\C 1-48 twist would only accurately shoot a PRB with 60-gr. of FF. Any more and I got shotgun patterns. Both my GM barrels shoot 100gr FF with no accuracy issues.

Here is the target at 100 yards the very first time I shot my .54 cal. Off a bench of course. This was a PRB (Patched Round Ball)

As for the Traditions Pellet, read the reviews and hopefully someone will post here. I saw they are priced at Grice's Gun Shop for about $350. If they group well with good velocity it will do the job. Nothing wrong with an inexpensive work horse!! The fun is in the hunt! These firearms are addicting!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in