New to Flintlock - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunt Pastor View Post
Thanks again. Sounds like a trip to Dixon's is in order. I've also heard good things about the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. Just like archery I'm sure it's not traditional enough for some but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I believe you can fire it both with blackpowder and round ball and with pellets and sabot's.
Found one in stainless for my brother about 3-4 years back at the Oaks gun show.. was new/un-fired. Paid $225 out the door for it.
He loves it. Trigger was slightly heavier than I like on a flinter, I'd say it was probably about 4.5-5lbs.
Shoots PRB, Conicals, or sabots pretty well. Gun groups better than he can shoot it at the moment, but he's improving.

It will shoot pellets, with the caveat that your priming better be perfect, and the pellets VERY fresh. It likes pyrodex pellets more than 777. If you drop a few grains of BP in before the pellets (of either type), you're back to 100% ignition.
Shoots 3F with complete reliability, so that's what he uses in the field. He's taken 2 doe with it in the 3 seasons of use.

Came with fiber optic sights... Nice and visible, but might look odd to some.

Overall, I'd have no qualms picking up another to have as a backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunt Pastor View Post
Thanks again. Sounds like a trip to Dixon's is in order. I've also heard good things about the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. Just like archery I'm sure it's not traditional enough for some but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I believe you can fire it both with blackpowder and round ball and with pellets and sabot's.
I have a PA Pellet, 50 cal. Love that gun! It likes 370 gr Maxis over 100 grs of FFG. Two things to know:
#1. Adjust the sear to lighten the trigger. Comes with a 12>14 lb pull. Mine is 3lb now.

#2. Check the mating of the pan to frizzen. Remove the lock, hold it to a light looking into the INSIDE of the pan, and if you see light it needs to be filed to match it up.
The gap will let your 4F fall out, or let moisture into the pan on a damp day. Either way it can stop it from going bang.

Otherwise, that PA Pellet is a great entry gun. (And mine also shoots round ball well)

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 06-20-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

You're into archery, correct?

Ok.

Look at entry level bows. The basic, very basic, entry level bows.

Now look at the bows you really like and want to shoot.

The same pattern holds true with flintlocks.

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of pellet based propellant in a flintlock. While convenience is a compelling idea, when you have to drop loose powder down first to get reliable ignition, it seems to me you've tossed convenience.

Regardless, if you use speed loader tubes with premeasured powder charges, and you practice, you can reload pretty quickly. A push-through speed load tube reloads as fast, or faster, than anything else I've seen. You uncap the end, dump in the main charge, run your rod down through the tube to start the ball/patch, then seat it and pull off the tube. It's literally just a few seconds. So I don't know what using pellets actually gains?

I'm also not really a fan of any substitute propellant in a flintlock. Again, I fail to see the point. You have to clean the bore when you shoot all of them, so if you gotta clean, then why quibble over the degree of dirty it is...?

My strong suggestion is just use black powder and be done with it.

The concept of a stainless gun in a synthetic stock seems good when you view it like you view a bolt action. In a flintlock? Meh....if it just is what you like, go for it, but the whole "all weather" thing in a flintlock is much less limited by your ability to make the lock work in wet weather than any impacts the weather has on the stock or the metal finish.

The advice about refining the pan/frizzen fit is good advice. You can also use petroleum jelly and/or lip balm to smear along the seam of the frizzen and pan, which helps isolate the priming charge from wet elements.

I use real BP and I have been out in rain and foggy weather with zero ignition issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am with TDD on this one as well. I use BP and leave the substitutes on the dealer shelves.

I have found that to help the second ignition (2nd shot....what...me miss?) is that after the first shot, BP residue will be found on the pan, frizzen, lock. I carry those little packets of rubbing alcohol (Buy 'em at the pharmacy). Pull one out.....squeeze out the bulk of the alcohol and wipe down all the BP residue in the pan and the frizzen. BP residue will collect water like nobody's business...so remove the residue around the lock, and your second (and so on) shots will ignite much more consistently.

If your bore is fouled and causing you grief when loading, run that alcohol patch down the bore once or twice and loading is much easier. The alcohol will evaporate very quickly....unlike water which takes forever.

I hope this helps.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
I gave up archery 30+ years ago for muzzleloaders.Had as many as 19 muzzys at one time but have since cut back a little.
You NEED a trip to Dixons and a trip when the gunmakers fair is also a good idea.

Dixons Muzzle Loading ? Muzzle Loading Shop ? Kempton, PA

Here is also some real good info on muzzleloading.

M/L Basics
This is excellent advise. Go see Greg Dixon at the store and introduce yourself as being new to the ML world. He will help you with everything - take a note pad and a pen (seriously).

flintlock hunter likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

TDD great point on the archery comparison. Thanks for the depth. I didn't look at it that way. When I buy bows I shoot every option and pick what works and fits best and I don't worry about the price point. When I get a custom recurve built I look at what I like and need and have it done. I need to find what I like and what "fit's" and learn to do it right.

I definitely like the traditional look and not the stainless. I'm going to make plans to get to Dixon's. My wife is heading to Ikea tomorrow maybe I need a road trip too!

Thanks again for the time everyone.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:41 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

If you go to Dixon's.....

1- The production rifles are in vertical gun racks along the wall in the back left of the store.

2- If you go straight along the counter as you walk in, keep going till you see flintlocks hanging above you. These are custom guns already made and being sold on consignment.

There's lots of other stuff...LOTS of other stuff...but that's where the guns are that you'll want to look at.

Assuming it'll be fairly quiet/slow, tell Greg what you're thinking about and what you are looking for. He'll answer your questions straight.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:43 PM
Regular Visitor

I like the Great Plains Rifle better.... Built one from a kit, did some modifications and carving in the stock with some inlays. It's pretty nice. Not as nice as the total custom rifle I built but I do like it a lot....
325wsm likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Part of the Community

RMC / Oxyoke, makes a great flintlock also, They are a great company to deal with. I have a .50 cal. accusporter and it shoots real BP very good.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys. After shopping around, heading to Dixon's, and handling several muzzleloaders I went with the Lyman DeerStalker .50 caliber. I think for me it's a great place to begin this adventure. I felt like it held better for me than the Great Plains Rifle. I'm a shorter guy so the Deer Stalker just fit better. Now to get set up and firing it.
BillHjr, tdd, blackpowder and 2 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page