T/C Impact seized breech - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Finally got my muzzle loader back from T/C, S&W, 1 month to the day after badgering them some. So they took out the old breach plug and put in a new one and sent a wrench to take the breach plug out if it seizes again. 1 month isn't to bad if ya compare that to the 3months I had to wait for a Remington rifle I once had. I did thank Veronica in customer care at T/C for expediting the work and shipping on my rifle.
What caused your breech to seize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Glad things worked out for you.
Now I'm looking forward to a successful range report.
Yep, plan on going Tuesday if the weather is right.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393 View Post
What caused your breech to seize?
Ya know I never did get an answer as to why that happened. I'll send Veronica a text and see if she can find out, I'd like to know that my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well I never did get an answer why the breech seized.

I finally got to take the T/C Impact to the range this morning and I'm not impressed with the accuracy. 3.25 inch group really isn't good at 100 yards. I tried 2 different powders and two different bullets and sabots, 3 different powder charges with each powder and bullets.

At this point I'm going to take my old T/C Hawken with open sights hunting, at 50 yards that'll put a patch round ball almost through the same hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (417.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well I never did get an answer why the breech seized.

I finally got to take the T/C Impact to the range this morning and I'm not impressed with the accuracy. 3.25 inch group really isn't good at 100 yards. I tried 2 different powders and two different bullets and sabots, 3 different powder charges with each powder and bullets.

At this point I'm going to take my old T/C Hawken with open sights hunting, at 50 yards that'll put a patch round ball almost through the same hole.

Have you tried Blackhorn 209 powder and Barnes TEZ bullets? Very accurate combo in my Pro Hunter
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
Have you tried Blackhorn 209 powder and Barnes TEZ bullets? Very accurate combo in my Pro Hunter
I was shooting the Barnes 250 gr. TEZ bullets when I got that 3.25 inch group with Triple 7-2F powder and that was the best group of the day.
I have 2F Goex Black Powder I'm thinking about trying. But I have to wonder even with that or Black Horn how much is that group going to tighten up?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

My wifes Thunderhawk would shoot a consistant 3 inch 50yd group with 70grs of FFg and a 460gr Maxi. Never got anything better, and I tried everything.

Enter Pyrodex Select and 250gr SST sabots! My hunting partner after YEARS of "persuading" finally talked me into trying his Select and SST combo. With 3X9X40 Leupold glass on the Thunderhawk it shoots a day in and day out 1 1/2inch 100yd group.

The point/fact is every gun is a law unto itself, and while 777 may not be the ideal powder for your gun, (or the TEZ for that matter), a different powder or bullet can/should bring about a signifigant change for the better.

Just an FYI: I am not a Pyrodex fan, Im (obviously) a Black Powder guy, but what works, works!
Waynzee likes this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I was shooting the Barnes 250 gr. TEZ bullets when I got that 3.25 inch group with Triple 7-2F powder and that was the best group of the day.
I have 2F Goex Black Powder I'm thinking about trying. But I have to wonder even with that or Black Horn how much is that group going to tighten up?
I guess all muzzys shoot different. I do know that blackhorn 209 is some amazing powder and not as dirty as normal black powder. The groups you are getting at 100 yards, I am getting at 250 yards with my T/C. I shoot 77 grains by weight of the Blackhorn also with the 250 grain TEZ. I also use the Federal 210a shotgun primer. Dont give up on it yet. Hopefully you can tighten that group up.
Waynzee likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

You've found the most expensive part of new smoke pole ownership.... finding the load it likes best.
Sometimes I've gotten lucky, finding and working up a load in short order (and less $$$)... Other times, it's cost me a small fortune in trying different powders, charges, bullets and/or sabots...
One thing I have noticed over the years, is that I've had short paths to finding the "right" load for a new barrel if I start heavy on the projectile, and work down, and I ditch the packaged sabots with just about any supplied bullet in favor of Harvesters... though I don't buy the pre-packaged bullets any more.
Waynzee likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage

The Barnes 250 gr. TEZ bullets would not group well out of my TC Pro Hunter. Not if due to lack of stabilization? Went to the 290 grain SPIT-FIRE TMZ and put one on top of each other. Sweet load is 110 grains BH209.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in