TC Firehawk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By muddly
  • 1 Post By muddly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

TC Firehawk

Rescued one the other day. A blued/ walnut that was put up uncleaned and badly fouled with Triple 7.
A cleaning showed a good bore and she was ACCURATE! But, subsequent shooting and cleaning worked a lot of gunk out of some pretty extensive pitting. I say a stainless barrel on eBay for a " Buy it now" of $150. Jumped all over it.
The new barrel is" new old stock" good! And it SHOOTS! I really like the 1-38 twist too. Shoots 250 grain 45 cal XTP's better than any 1-28 rifle I've had. Greenhill's formula says the 300s need a 1-39 1/4, so good to go there should the need arise.
Breech plug is fixed. Love that! No more difficult to clean, and no sealing surface issues. I've found removable plugs to start leaking at the front seals around the 1600 round mark. This happened to me with 4 different rifles, so hint taken. I'm very particular about maintenance as I only shoot black powder ( Swiss), but it didn't matter.
I thought about designing fixed plugs for my Black Diamonds, until the Thunderhawk and Firehawk showed up. Got both for a song and they're now my favorites.
Too bad they had a short production run. Both are good looking, accurate, fine handling and well made rifles. If you get a shot at one, you'd be smart to grab it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are looking for a stainless .54 cal , Gray Hawk, there is one for sale at the muzzleloadingforum.com
295.+ shipping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8857-f09a76b65f88e015c610f9b2bc4dc9b9.jpg (96.9 KB, 6 views)

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Last edited by Retiredusne8; 05-05-2019 at 06:38 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Muddly, Congradulations! Nice find, great save, only thing left is to get "deer approval"!

Good luck with it!

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

54 is a good caliber, but I like my .50s. Besides, my repop P53 Enfield rifle musket ( .577) has the big bore side lock duties well in hand.
The deer will fear these 2 TC's! The Thunderhawk is the most natural handling rifle I've ever owned. EVERY time I shoulder her, the sights are RIGHT THERE. Target acquisition is amazingly fast. The Firehawk nearly so. Tje nicely shaped cheek piece throws me off a wee bit, if I'm not careful.
The Thunderhawk is a bit stubby with her 22 inch barrel, but the Firehawk is one of the most visually balanced rifles I've ever seen. Her's is a 24 inch tube. Neither has a QLA. I actually like the QLA on a hunting rifle for the protection it gives the true crown. But without it, these 2 have a better chance of shooting full calibers. Should I decide, or become required to use, big lead.
Both rifles wear bead/ aperture sights. The Thunderhawk is a consistent 1 1/2" rifle for 3 rounds at 100. Haven't shot the Firehawk at 100 yet. But she put 10 into an inch at 50 the other day. Still grinning about that...
The LORD smiles though. I've wanted a fixed plug inline for years now. Wasn't looking for either rifle when I saw them. Meant to be, I guess...
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like your Thunderhawk is a ballistic twin to my wife, Elaines, .50 cal Thunderhawk.

We tried for years to find a FFG loading to do tighter than 3inches @ 50 yds,(had a peep and bead back then), untill my hunting partner finally convinced us to try that "wretched" Pyrodex, which I felt was an abomination.

Today Elaines Thunderhawk wears a 3X9X40 Leupold, with 100grs of Pyrodex RS,(ooops, I came around), under a Hornady 250gr SST saboted projectile. This combination does the same 1 1/2inch at a hundred as yours. Almost makes me want to make use of it over my flintlocks (once in awhile).

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I shoot 3f Swiss. 70 grains does 1545 fps in the 22 inch ThunderHawk. Haven't chrono'd the Firehawk yet. My 26 inch Black Diamond XR .50 got 1575 fps with the 70 grain charge and the 250 gr XTP.
Devastating on deer...
I just had the Firehawk out to zero the sights. Shot the first 3 into an inch at 50 and then proceeded to put the following 7 rounds in 7/16 inch.
Quite a rifle...
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 58 caliber Thunderhawk which makes a loud blast...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thunderhawk or System 1? Far as I know, 54 was the biggest for the Thunderhawk.
58 in a rifle that light... Equal and opposite. Not always fun...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just checked it is a 58 caliber FireHawk....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

An update.
Chrono'd the Firehawk and got 1575 fps and a high/low difference of 8 fps. Not a typo...
The barrel is beginning to break in and her accuracy is something to behold! She just tears a hole at 50 and groups 2 inches or larger at 100 are very rare and always me. Usually they're 7/8s to 1 1/2 for 3 rounds. Bead and aperture sights.
These older TC inlines ARE all that, a bag of chips, large Coke AND a toy surprise...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page