CVA Optima V2, Problems. - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage

Owned 3 CVAs over the years(Hunter/Firebolt and 1 OptimaPro) all with their 1-28 Begara barrel. My best loads were shooting the 348 grain Poerbelt Aerotips push by 2 777 Mag pellets(120 gr) or 100 grain BH209. I favored BH209 due to not having a crud ring plus easier clean-up. Also, found longer bullets such as the 348 stabilized best out of that barrel. All CVA's were extremely accurate once tuned in.

See you ended up with a TC...so did I a TC ProHunter(Encore) owning it now for past 10 years. In my TC I found !00-110 grains of BH209 with the Barnes blue saboted 290 Grain SPIT-FIRE TMZ to be a tack driving load. Best of luck with tour TC!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Sage

Waynzee...I forgot to mention I experienced 777 to rapidly loose it's potency if stored past one year even in a ideal cool dry environment. Another factor that may have played a part in your experience. Another reason I went to BH209 in addition to the crud ring factor..
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Waynzee...I forgot to mention I experienced 777 to rapidly loose it's potency if stored past one year even in a ideal cool dry environment. Another factor that may have played a part in your experience. Another reason I went to BH209 in addition to the crud ring factor..
I was thinking about BH 209, Are there any negatives? It seems all the reviews are pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
I was thinking about BH 209, Are there any negatives? It seems all the reviews are pretty good.
I've been exclusively shooting BH209 for at least 5 years now & found no negatives. I cannot say that about other substitutes that I used in the past. It isn't cheap is the only negative but IMO the BH209 benefits far outweigh the cost factor considering what we invest in hunts, guns, time spent etc. Below is a useful comparison chart put out by BH209 a few years ago. Their www(below) is also chocked full of great info.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 PM

what about Pyrodex pellets ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
what about Pyrodex pellets ?
Not a pyrodex fan based on loose Pyrodex experience due to dirty/corrosive sulfur residue & didn't like it's bulky granulation coupled with limited shelf life so never tried their pellets. Read of a problem with pyrodex pellets ignited by a 209 primer is that flyers can be caused by the excessive brisance of the shotgun primer driving the projectile forward in the barrel before the ignition of the powder charge. Also read of crushing problems. I did shoot the 777 magnum(60 grains) pellets for a while and they were ok but still left the crud ring.
bohunr and Waynzee like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Loggy I'll give that BH 209 a try.
Loggy likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Thanks Loggy I'll give that BH 209 a try.
Best of luck Waynzee!! Be sure to report back on how you like BH209.
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Best of luck Waynzee!! Be sure to report back on how you like BH209.
Well BH 209 powder is rarer than hens teeth around here, I found a 10oz. container at Gander Outdoors and they wanted $46.00 for it so I passed on it, seems to high for 10oz. of powder.
I've been doing some research and it appears that if you use non magnum 209 primers (I guess Winchester is best) with T7 powder you won't get a crud ring as quick and some say non at all. Also if you clean between shots with 90% alcohol patches it will keep the barrel clean and keep the crud ring from building up.
So I've got 2 containers of T7 to use up and I'll try that first and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Waynzee, I'm in the same boat regarding a switch to Blackhorn...
I have a few boxes of 777 pellets on hand (all vacuum sealed, seems to keep rather well that way).
And yes, once you find the right primers, the crud ring issue all but goes away.
I keep telling myself I'll switch to BH once my stockpile is used up, but I'm not sure the math is there...
I'm not totally sold on the benefits of BH outweighing the cost, not just monetary, but in slower loading, more measures, tubes, etc to buy and carry in the field.

I can get off 3 shots with harvester sabot/300gr XTP without having accuracy suffer or difficulty loading... after 3, a spit patch is a must.
Swabbing between ever 2nd or 3rd shot never bothered me. When I'm at the range, I like to replicate field conditions, not race through powder.

As for cleaning, sure, BH is king, but I can't complain about the routine for 777.
I use the CVA Barrel Blaster foam. Drop QRBP and small parts into parts cleaner, squirt the bore with foam, let both sit for a beer or two, then swab out. Dry patch, rust inhibitor patch, wipe down, done.
My Optima V2 has seen several hunts and about two hundred rounds at the range, bore looks NIB.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in