.458 Sabots and 350gr. Hornady FP bullets. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

.458 Sabots and 350gr. Hornady FP bullets.

I got some .458 Sabots from Harvester Muzzle Loading and loaded up my CVA Optima V2 with 90grs. Triple 7 2F powder, the Harvester Sabot and 350 gr. Hornady FP bullet. At 100 yards I got a 1inch group and consider this pretty good. But here's the thing, I wonder if I'm getting enough velocity for that bullet to mushroom on a bear or a deer? I know when I touch that thing off it sure feels like enough on the recoil side of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

Is it the interlock bullet?
If so, I think the expansion envelop bottoms out around 1600fps... which is probably right around or a bit higher than the muzzle velocity you’re getting with 90gr loose 777.

You’ll definitely get plenty of penetration, but I’d be a bit doubtful on reliable expansion.

I haven’t tried that bullet, but have found the 300gr XTPs (non-Mag) in both 44 & 45cal expand well when pushed by 100gr 777 in my Optima V2, out to 175 yards. Haven’t tried any farther.
I’m partial to the 44 bullet, though... shoots flatter and a tad tighter in my barrel.
Both put meat on the table..

If it’s not the Interlock bullet, it should expand well enough. It might benefit from a little more speed, but probably not enough to worry about on deer, as you’re going to get complete pass-through regardless.

Last edited by Wingatchtochwilsit; 04-02-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: If not interlock....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

You're not going to have any issues on whitetail deer. I've shot several whitetail with my 45-70 405gr. lead and the hole is big enough and on both sides that if they do run, it's only about 30 yards.

For bear I can't say.....but I would think you want penetration more than mushroom.

FWIW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page