chronograph - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

so, what might those "harsh effects" from BP be? 4 digit range? no need to run that many through it. new gun, settle on the load and done. I don.t run every shot I fire through a chrony, no need. to each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
so, what might those "harsh effects" from BP be? 4 digit range? no need to run that many through it. new gun, settle on the load and done. I don.t run every shot I fire through a chrony, no need. to each his own.
Over a several year period tuning in multiple bp/substitute powder guns with various load combinations the shot numbers quickly add up to the point of damaging a chrony. For the occasional shooter.....likely no adverse impact. A chrony box is cheap protection.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

seriously, what is getting damaged? patches hitting? sabots? residue on the plastic? help me understand.

I see it now, the slots on top, plus overall the seal in the front probably won't keep the smoke/residue out after ALOT of shooting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0302.jpg (275.2 KB, 1 views)
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by blackpowder; 04-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage

Yes "seriously"....just to help you "understand". Yes, a typical chrony does have electronic PHOTO sensors/components. Of course, what does Chrony know anyways!! lol

Ck out Chrony Owners Manual Section E:

. RIFLES: Be aware that the bullet line of travel will be as much as two inches BELOW the line of sight on scope-sighted rifles. Adjust upward in order NOT to hit the Chrony. If a bullet hits the Chrony, the Chrony will be destroyed, and will endanger you and others because of bullet ricochet and flying parts of the Chrony. Mark the Wire Rods with tape four inches above the Chrony unit for open-sighted rifles, and six inches for scope-mounted rifles.

Fig.4. Protective Shields

C. HANDGUNS: When shooting sub-sonic ammo, the muzzle blast will get to the Chrony before the bullet, which may cause erratic numbers. Increase distance from Chrony.
D. SHOTGUNS: because flying wads may go in any direction, protect the face of the Chrony by taping a thick piece of clear acrylic over the front of the unit. The acrylic must not extend above the face. Shooting Chrony Inc. offers such protection (see Accessories List). NOTE: When shooting without Diffusers one may substitute soda straws or wooden dowels for the Wire Rods. Hitting the Wire Rods with a bullet could break the Sensor Housings, whereas straws and dowels provide a safer sighting guide
E. MUZZLE LOADERS AND OTHER BLACK POWDER FIREARMS: In addition to protecting the face of the Chrony from wads and patches, you may cover the slots (eyes) of the photo sensors with strong and clear tape or Protective Shields (Fig.4) to prevent powder residue from entering these slots. Glass or clear plastic taped over these slots may also be used.
F. ARCHERY: Bow to Chrony distance should be at least an Arrow’s length. Blunt-tipped or flat-tipped arrows give more Accurate velocity measurements.

Fig 4 Shield

http://www.shootingchrony.com/images/shield.gif
blackpowder, 325wsm and Steeltrap like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well now that my chrono box is finished I am moving on to securing my tripod to the ground. A few yrs ago I set it up about 10' from my bench, the muzzle blast from my .300 win mag sent the tripod and chronograph over onto the ground, knocked the top cover loose on the chronograph. Everything was fine but I set it up a bit farther down range for the rest of the session.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page