Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

That's good news!! That and the Hornady Pa. Conical is all I have been using for the last ten years. The plus of the Ball-ett is they use a dry lube....much easier to use. Hornady's Pa. Conical use's a "grease" type of lube which I always remove 90% of it before using them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Think i still have 2 boxes of original ball-ets on the shelf. Tried them in my traditins 50 cal in the 90's. Shot great but never used them for hunting. Been thinking of trying them at the range in my Bedford to see what they would do with deep radiused rifling. Been curious about that

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_SP View Post
Think i still have 2 boxes of original ball-ets on the shelf. Tried them in my traditins 50 cal in the 90's. Shot great but never used them for hunting. Been thinking of trying them at the range in my Bedford to see what they would do with deep radiused rifling. Been curious about that
I have been shooting them outta my Green Mt. 1-70 (I think...or 1-72?) 50 caliber flint for those years I mentioned. Just as accurate as a PRB plus no patch needed when loading....and more energy when it smacks the deer.
STD84 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Oh they were as accurate as RB in my traditions PA longrifle, which was/is a VERY accurate rifle. Went to a .54 cal in 1999 so just have not used them. I built my 50 cal Bedford last year and a 45 cal Bedford before that and have not tried them in that barrel. Soon as I get some time. Will still use PRB to hunt and stuff since I've never had a problem anchoring deer with them in any of my rifles. More to satisfy my curiosity with the deeper rifling.

I would not hesitate to recommend them though for slow twist barrels

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:36 AM

Killed a pile of deer with them in my 50cal TC Hawken. Penetration was awesome. Never thought I'd buy another flintlock and stocked up on Ball-ets... probably have a couple hundred...

Haven't shot the gun since the flintlock buildin bug bit me lol.

One morning I was in a trespassers double ladder stand checking out the view. Decided I liked the view so I sat a while. A big group of doe came right to me. I picked out a biggun about 30yds away. I was 15ft I'd guess. She was hard quartering towards me. I put the sights on her front right shoulder and touched her off.

I watched her run slightly away from me angling down the mountain.

I swore I saw a back leg flopping around wildly as she ran. I was sick. How in the world did I miss that bad?!?!

As she disappeared over the edge of the hill I thought she was looking like her gas was running out...

Snuck down. LONG white belly hair and chunks of bone. The few times over been on track jobs and found bone chunks it'd been a solid leg hit. I was sick.

I tracked kicked up leaves and wasn't seeing blood...no snow.

I got to the last place I saw her and as I started looking down the hill leaves and brush were all torn up...blood everywhere and she was in a pile.

Further investigation revealed the Ball-et entered right behind the right shoulder. It exited directly between her back legs and continued to shatter her back left leg.

She was a big ole doe too. I shot a 3.5yo buck a few hours later and I believe her chest was actually bigger...

Serious penetration.

Meanwhile I couldn't get a round ball to exit a deer from the same gun lol.
flintlock hunter and STD84 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page