• 3 Post By sparkchaser
  • 4 Post By 410-er
  • 2 Post By Buckskin Dave
  • 3 Post By Marcus99
  • 1 Post By Loggy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

No spark

I know this is vague, but here it goes. Right before flintlock season I took my gun to the range and shot probably 10-15 times, no problems what so ever. I loaded my gun on opening day and it has remained that way since I haven't had any luck this season.

So today as I'm leaving the woods I decide that I will discharge my gun into a stump. I guess it's good that I didn't see any deer, because to my surprise the gun won't go off. I cocked it and pulled the trigger 6-7 times and no flash in the pan. What I noticed was that twice in these 6-7 shots the frizzen did not fully open.

Any ideas where to start?

I plan to try to discharge the gun with compressed air tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that will work or not. I've had trouble with this method in the past when I left a patched ball in the barrel for a long amount of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Could be a couple different things. Bad frizen, dull flint, loose flint, flint not aligned right. But iím Guessing the oil you used to lubricant the lock got thick in this cold weather, slowing the lock. Compressed air should clear barrel, remove touch hole liner first and use an air gun nozzle with a rubber tip so you can get a good seal.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM

Replace the flint first. If that doesn't work then try to blow it out. Then try to eliminate the frizzen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:45 AM
The Man

Use good Black English,French Amber,or American Chert flints.
Clean the frizzen with cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.
Make sure flint is about 1/16 inch from touching frizzen at half cock.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Clean your frizzen with alcohol. Clean the flint as well. Make sure your flint has a good edge. Then put you flint back in and make it snug but not tight. Then close your frizzen. Cock the hammer, hold it with your free hand and pull the trigger lowing the hammer slowly until your flint is touching the frizzen. Make sure the flint is aligned so that the whole face of the flint strikes the frizen evenly. If the flint has any points preventing this knap them off. The flint should contact the frizzen at least in the top one third of it. If it is striking half way down the frizzen your losing a lot of potential spark. Making the flint strike higher can be as simple as turning the flint over. Tighten up the flint and try it. Let us know what happens.
Loggy and flintlock hunter like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 01-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Ok I think I might have it figured out. Luckily I was able to blow the ball out with air this morning. I started messing around with it and found that the hammer seemed a bit loose and the flint seemed to be set back a bit. I tightened it up, adjusted the flint, and it seems to be throwing a better spark now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage

Glad you got it corrected. Assuming jaws tight, flint properly aligned etc etc(as others suggested)... If the frizzen wasn't flipped totally up sounded to me that the hammer wasn't exerting enuff strike force. Total lock cleaning then light oiling could be in order before next season. Also, lead strips vs leather holding flint in jaws will give a sharper impact on frizzen.
bigguy54 likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page