New flintlock recommendations? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New flintlock recommendations?

Just like the title says I'm looking for some suggestions on a new flintlock...i had one years ago but was young and never really used it. Finally moving back to PA and want to pick one up to start shooting next spring so. I can go out next year... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:09 PM
The Man

Not many choices in new, production flintlocks....

I's probably go with a Lyman or a Pedersoli if buying new. You might wanna cruise Gunbroker for a nice, used T/C Hawken or CVA Mountain Rifle.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Part of the Community

Lyman is a good gun. I don’t know much about the Pedersoli guns. But there are a ton of great semi custom builders out there that put together very nice rifles. I have a TVM Late Lancaster rifle in .50. It’s gorgeous, accurate and reliable. I mean 80+ shots on the same flint swabbing the bore every eight or ten rounds with a damp patch. No misfires, at all.
325wsm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Since TC stopped making sidelock muzzleloaders, Investarms/Lyman are probably the best current moderately priced rifles. Their locks are good sparkers.
Note that Investarms rifles can be found as other brands, like Cabela's, others.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you can afford it RMC is the way to go.
willyp, dce, eastbank and 4 others like this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Besides the Lymans with the 1-48 twist, which can shoot roundball or conical. There is the Traditions Pa Pellet Ultralight with a 1-28 twist barrel that shoots the sabot ,I would use real back powder in any muzzleloader you choose.
willyp likes this.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:33 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
If you can afford it RMC is the way to go.

Ive heard and read good things about RMC Accusporter rifles as well. They are not my thing but if you just want to hunt and shoot and are not really concerned about traditional looks they are good rifles. I like Lyman rifles. I own two and have no complaints.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Part of the Community

A lot depends on your budget. I hunted with a TC renegade & never had any issues with it. I eventually sold it and bought a rifle from TVM. It`s well made with quality parts. Really like it. Lots of places to buy custom, semi-custom, or parts to build one yourself.
blackpowder likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunt86 View Post
Just like the title says I'm looking for some suggestions on a new flintlock...i had one years ago but was young and never really used it. Finally moving back to PA and want to pick one up to start shooting next spring so. I can go out next year... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Owned both a RMC & a Lyman GPR 54. Between the 2.....I would opt for the Lyman. Great planning that you're looking for a flinter now to start shooting in the spring to be ready for next season!! Should be ample time to get used to your new flinter. Best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I was looking to keep it around or under the $500 mark for just starting out that way I have some money left. Over to purchase everything else I need... But the rmc does look sweet(especially in the birch) ... I want to make sure it is something I will. Continue to do before I spend a ton of money on a custom one... As far as looks... Sure it would be cool to have an old traditional looking flintlock but again as of right now I am just more interested in getting back into flintlock and extending my deer season with another weapon. I am looking forward to picking one up and heading to the range to start practicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in