What powder do I want? Have a Dixie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By Buckskin Dave
  • 2 Post By 410-er

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

What powder do I want? Have a Dixie

I have a Dixie 50 cal. Tenn Mountain Rifle, Flintlock, I usually shoot 60 grains patch and ball, It has been so long since I bought powder, not sure what to get ? I have plenty of primer powder. I have thought about trying PA pellets? not sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Pellets are not what you want. They are best used in inline muzzle loaders. They don't ignite as easily as black powder does. Get some FFF Goex black powder for your charge and FFFF for the pan. Goex powder is good but Swiss is also good and burns a little cleaner I think, but its a little more expensive. Good luck, good hunting.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor23 View Post
I have a Dixie 50 cal. Tenn Mountain Rifle, Flintlock, I usually shoot 60 grains patch and ball, It has been so long since I bought powder, not sure what to get ? I have plenty of primer powder. I have thought about trying PA pellets? not sure?

If you can get Swiss black powder 2fg would be my first choice. If not available for you...then Goex 2fg. Some like Goex 3FG too. Most likely your guns safety manual(if you still have) recommends 2FG.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Sage

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...subpage/faq#q9

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:29 PM

I would get 3F as If I remember correctly the ignition temp. for 3F is slightly lower than for 2F. If it was a .54 or largr I would go with 2F.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Part of the Community

Just don't use pellets or the pyrodex loose powder(RS or P)... Unless you like the fuse effect and a 1-2 second delay between pan going off then the gun going off. Took me about 1.5 seasons and 3-4 guys looking puzzled to finally figure out why. I use Goex for both charge and pan. 3F and 4F respectively. Others may have had luck with substitutes just letting you know I did not. My muzzleloader has a channel leading from the touch hole and does an L bend to get to the main charge so this may have had something to do with the delay. Having the main charge directly on the other side of the touch hole may make a difference. Just my $0.02.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 PM
The Man

Substitutes ignite at around 800 degrees(+or-) and Blackpowder ignites at around 300 degrees.Grades of blackpowder (Fg,FFg,FFFg and FFFFg) all come from the same makeup but different size grains.Kinda like kindling burns faster than a log,still same wood just different size pieces.
You want either FFFg or FFg for the charge.Both burn clean with the proper patched RB.

Here is a GOOD read for you. M/L Basics
Retired_Rusty and Bigbrownie like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page