Experience with heavy Conicals in .54 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Experience with heavy Conicals in .54

Good Morning,

In the coming days I will be testing out some whoppers in my Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Rifle (1-48" twist). The projectiles are 535 grain conicals made by No Excuses, a Utah-based company. Upon speaking to the owner about a starting load I will be starting with 80gr of FF Goex and will work my way up. I'm not looking to mimic a 460 WBY mag, but I'd be satisfied with a 1- 1/2" group @ 50 yards with a velocity north of 1,200 FPS.

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

Has anyone here experimented with heavy conicals with your .54? If so would you like to share your experience?

Kind Regards,

Brandon
Loggy and steelhead125 like this.

Go where others refuse, but do not lose your common sense along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

I haven't shot any heavy conicals out of my 54 cal flinter but have shot Dave's No Excuse 50 cal 460 grain conicals(.503) out of my custom White Super 91 .504 caliber. It has a Wilson 1-20 twist barrel. They are excellent conicals which stabilize well out of a super fast 1-20 twist barrel.

As far as conicals out of a 54 cal flinter...I had some 54 cal 348 grain Powerbelts I tried out of my flinter(1-56 bbl) and wasn't pleased with their performance. I see Dave only casts the 54's in a 535 grain which to me seems somewhat heavy(long) vs something lighter which may stabilize better in your 1-48 barrel? Be sure to report back on how they shoot.
BLC3128 likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 PM
Regular Visitor

I've shot up to 460 grain with 1:48 with great results at 100. Those bigger 500 grainers however, I do not know. That might be pushing the limits.
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Part of the Community

I got great groups out of a .54 Renegade percussion with T/C Maxi Balls and 85 grains of Pyrodex RS. I got the gun used but it is fairly new to me so I haven't done much experimenting.
Loggy likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

TC maxi balls, 435 gn over 100 gn FFg works fine in my Renegade .54
Loggy likes this.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your shooting whitetails there really is no need to go bigger than a .530-.535 PRB. A .530 is about 225gr. and when fired using a heavy hunting load will more than do the job.

PRB's are about 12-cents a shot. Those 535gr are about .56-cents a shot. That's almost 5 PRB shots for one conical.

I doubt the deer would know.

MHO
Loggy likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
If your shooting whitetails there really is no need to go bigger than a .530-.535 PRB. A .530 is about 225gr. and when fired using a heavy hunting load will more than do the job.

PRB's are about 12-cents a shot. Those 535gr are about .56-cents a shot. That's almost 5 PRB shots for one conical.

I doubt the deer would know.

MHO
I think you are spot-on. we do however live in a "bigger is better" world. I have killed the bulk of my deer in the last 35 years with a .600, 324 grain rb. MORE than enough for deer and I think possibly too much, but that is what my smoothbore shot and that's what I used. the doe I shot in rifle season was shot with a 370 grain pure lead bullet at 1280 fps. out of my 40-70 at 100 yards. in and out with probably most of the energy from the bullet in the ground behind the deer. my .62 ml is shooting at almost 1500 fps. the deer this year at 110 yards was a complete pass through. so after all of that jabber, I agree that a prb is plenty for whitetails. BUT whatever the person is comfortable with and what shoots the best for them is what it is all about.
Loggy, tdd and Steeltrap like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Sage

I don't think the OP was thinking a "bigger is better" kinda thing or thinking you need a 500 plus grain bullet to kill an 80lb deer.... but is experimenting with the "slip fit" loading technique associated with the No Excuses precision cast conicals. Some interesting reading below discussing this technique, benefits etc.

Accurizing Your Rifle | White Muzzle Loading

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/
blackpowder likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 PM
The Man

If they group good for you,use them.
If you can hit the EXACT spot you are aiming at with the 1ST SHOT out of a clean bore,use them.
If you think the bigger slug/ball is going to have instant drop and no tracking,DON'T use them.
Conicals often give blowby causing "Fliers" when groups are shot.
I have a 58 cal TC Big Boar.Played with maxis with it.Deer are no more dead than when hit with my 45's.In fact I have MORE drop in their tracks using a 45 RB and only 50grs of powder.
MY theory is they absorb more energy than with bigger/faster projectiles.
Testing and muzzys are GREAT ! All the different combos of powders,patches,RB sizes/conicals,etc.
Waiting on range results!
Loggy, blackpowder and Steeltrap like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I don't think the OP was thinking a "bigger is better" kinda thing or thinking you need a 500 plus grain bullet to kill an 80lb deer.... but is experimenting with the "slip fit" loading technique associated with the No Excuses precision cast conicals. Some interesting reading below discussing this technique, benefits etc.

Accurizing Your Rifle | White Muzzle Loading

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

Thanks Loggy. I didn't read it all word for word, I just scanned it, but figured that most of the advantage is ease of loading? but, that ease of loading exist with patch and ball. I think the loading factor for most ml shooters is due to the lack of time with their rifle and finding the right combination. all of mine load as easy the 10th shot as they do on the first, but it has taken a lot of time to get there. again, its what works for that person and where that first shot goes.
Loggy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page