5Likes
  • 2 Post By CMP70306
  • 1 Post By IHMSA53393
  • 1 Post By Loggy
  • 1 Post By Six-Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Black horn powder

I have always used 90 grs. FF in my 50 cal Traditions with 180 gr. Hornady round balls. I know nothing about this new Blackhorn powder - except that it is pretty expensive at $33 per lb. How does it shoot? What is your favorite load with what projectile?

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately due to the composition it requires a 209 shotshell primer to set it off and as such will not work with flintlocks or percussion caps.

However in the inlines it is fantastic and burns much cleaner with less fouling than any other powder I’ve used. It is not uncommon to load 6 or 7 shots without having to swab the bore. My dad uses 100 grains of it in his T/C Pro Hunter with the 250gr shockwave sabots and has them touching at 100.
Loggy and Six-Gun like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In my flintlock I use a duplex load of 5gr FFF under 90gr Blackhorn 209 with my own cast RCBS 45-405 gr in an MMP Orange sabot. Quick loaders with FFF charge in one (different color for the FFF charge) and another for the Blackhorn and cast bullet. Never had an ignition delay or failure.
bigt557 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

100 gr. Blackhorn 209, 250 gr. T/C Shockwave in a T/C Encore .50, DEADLY ACCURATE, this load has worked in other Encores and other inlines with great
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:42 PM

It’s the best powder on the market for inline muzzleloaders, but not designed for traditional arms. I have never tried duplexing it with real BP, but I could see that working.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 11-27-2018 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage

All I use in my inlines. Swiss black powder for my flinters. You won't find any cleaner burning powders!!
willyp likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter View Post
I have always used 90 grs. FF in my 50 cal Traditions with 180 gr. Hornady round balls. I know nothing about this new Blackhorn powder - except that it is pretty expensive at $33 per lb. How does it shoot? What is your favorite load with what projectile?

$33-35 per 10oz.

If you are shooting a modern muzzleloader with the correct breech plug and primer set up, it is the BEST powder you will ever have the chance to shoot in a muzzle loader.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM

$35 for 10 ounces is $56 a pound plus Pa. sales tax of $3.36 that's $59.36 !! It better be good !

WILLY P
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
$35 for 10 ounces is $56 a pound plus Pa. sales tax of $3.36 that's $59.36 !! It better be good !
Willy -

A lot of people get hung up is the price per pound of Blackhorn 209 against the competition. The thing is, a pound of Blackhorn 209 is not the same as a pound of Triple 7, Pyrodex, or traditional powder. It has large, hollow granuales that take up a lot volumetric space for a given charge.

Additionally, BH209 has significantly more energy than other black powder substitutes. Their literature even warns people to check the BH209-specific load data accordingly and avoid directly transcribing, say, Pyrodex loads to prevent unsafe pressures.

I need roughly 30% less BH209 than the alternatives to get the same velocity with the same projectile in my TC Omega. So, it is *slightly* more expensive shot-for-shot, but the increased accuracy and cleanliness more than offsets the price difference in my book.
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page