Virginia 8 point - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Virginia 8 point

All-

After bow hunting hard for the last month, I knew based on trail camera pics and sightings that I had some pretty nice bucks, at least for this area, hanging around. I took off the last part of last week to hunt the rut, but had virtually no movement all from mature bucks, let along immature.

After the cold front moved in on Saturday, and switching to the muzzleloader, I passed on a 2.5 year old 8 and some does in the morning, then jumped stands at 11. I sat in the wind all day yesterday when finally at 430 I saw a doe and button buck start feeding above me. Pretty soon a spike came in and hit the scrape I was hunting over, and he moved on up towards those does. About 530 I look way up on the hill and I see this buck step out and I instantly knew he was a shooter. He was over my weak side about 75 yards and I had a hard time twisting around in the treestand to get solid on him. When I felt I was, I took the shot.

I could tell I hit him hard because he kind of went down but stumbled away. I did not hear a crash which concerned me. I got down about 15 minutes later and started tracking pretty good blood. About 60 yards into the track, I jumped him out of his bed. I could not get another shot off in time. He didn't look real good so I backed out for the night.

After analyzing my shot, I believed that I had hopefully caught one lung and the liver but I wasn't certain. I was worried it was a muscle hit.

After a long night I hit the woods at first light. As I was tracking him I could follow the blood pretty good and could see where he was stumbling. It seemed like the blood started to peter out some after a 100 yards or so when I decided to just do a quick grid search and eventually come back to the blood if need be which I marked. This was a very mountainous steep and rocky hillside. After walking another 40 yards or so, I heard something to my right and saw him get up out of his bed and run off, but wobbly. I could not believe he was still alive.

I walked slowly another 40 yards or so and peaked down over the ridge, and saw him staring back at me broadside at about 65 yards. Now the worst part of the story is I had a loaded gun, but it was my last bullet. That has never happed before but it did this time, and I felt confident that 2 bullets would be enough until my news ones I ordered arrived. I knew I had my bow back at home if need be too.

When I put the crosshairs on him I was very excited and had a hard time holding steady, especially knowing I was down to my last bullet. I held the best I could and shot. I knew I hit him but he ran off again. I went down and found him piled up. What a relief. My first shot the night before had been a low brisket shot that I'm surprised missed his heart with where it exited.

A nice mature 8 that I could not be more thrilled with. He should gross right around 122. 153 pounds field dressed. I also included a trailcam pic I had of him from last season. I had no pics of him yet this year.

Traditions Pursuit 50 caliber
Barnes 250 grain bullets

100 grains of triple 7 with 209 primer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3047.jpg (859.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3041.JPG (937.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3051.JPG (1.31 MB, 64 views)
octagon, BigJob and rcshank85 like this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.

Last edited by VaPa hunter; 11-06-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Congrats!!! Great buck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:35 PM
The Man

Good for you. Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the successful follow up shot! Great buck. I am always amazed at the toughness of the older bucks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:45 PM
The Man

Darn good buck, glad it worked out. Congrats!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

Very nice!! CONGRATS!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM

Nice buck. Congrats.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's a good one, congrats!

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:45 PM

That is a nice Virginia buck your harvested there for sure...Congrats

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 PM

Congrats

Outstanding buck, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page