not impressed with some hunters during doe slaughter week - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

not impressed with some hunters during doe slaughter week

We took a number of does and fawns this past week during inline season, but I have to say I am not too happy with what I have found this week while out for birds. So far I have found three dead does on public land. Two were gut shot, one rifle, one muzzleloader, and one was shot through the throat with a muzzleloader. Apparently some jag off tried head shoot that one, to "save some meat", and ended up wasting it all. It was only laying 15 yards into a thick hedge, right along a huge deer trail, next to that huge cornfield (in case the shooter is reading this) and probably ran an bled out within 100 yards. Quite a few times I heard long shot strings from rifles on second Saturday, so I guess that must have been senior hunters who should know better. I can't imagine a youth having the confidence to fling lead like that.

This early season should be filled with clean, easy shots. The deer are not pressured yet. There is no reason to take poor shots for an October meat deer. If you don't want it to run, shoot it high shoulder. It is a huge target and there is not as much waste as some seem to think.
willyp, bohunr, cubcadet and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 03:32 AM

How true this is !

WILLY P
Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandFuller View Post

We took a number of does and fawns this past week during inline season

Apparently some jag off tried head shoot that one, to "save some meat", and ended up wasting it all.

It was only laying 15 yards into a thick hedge, right along a huge deer trail, next to that huge cornfield (in case the shooter is reading this) and probably ran an bled out within 100 yards.

Quite a few times I heard long shot strings from rifles on second Saturday, so I guess that must have been senior hunters who should know better. I can't imagine a youth having the confidence to fling lead like that.

This early season should be filled with clean, easy shots.

There is no reason to take poor shots for an October meat deer.
There are a lot of assumptions in this post about a "jag off," Seniors, and tracking skills..

The other thought regarding "October meat deer" is why take a fawn?

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 AM

I only heard two shots all week and one was most definitely a road hunter.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah that's bad finding dead deer like that is never a good thing always be sure of your shot and track a wounded deer until ya find it. At least some of you fellas seen deer,, I was hunting up on game land 159 by the Dyberry Creek and probably would have had better luck looking for a Unicorn. Big area though and not many hunters so I think the deer were staying put and not moving around much.

Last edited by Waynzee; 10-25-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Banned

Reminds me of the dead buck we found one year on the property we hunt. It was a big racked 8 point that was shot pretty far back with an arrow. I knew the only guy there that hunted with a bow and when I told him about it, he said, "oh I thought I hit it too far back". I asked why he didn't track the deer. His response was "I thought the meat would be spoiled".......Shame, was a nice buck too. A week later we checked on the carcass, and it was completely eaten by animals, and someone (not me) sawed off its antlers. I could only guess who....
Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Reminds me of the dead buck we found one year on the property we hunt. It was a big racked 8 point that was shot pretty far back with an arrow. I knew the only guy there that hunted with a bow and when I told him about it, he said, "oh I thought I hit it too far back". I asked why he didn't track the deer. His response was "I thought the meat would be spoiled".......Shame, was a nice buck too. A week later we checked on the carcass, and it was completely eaten by animals, and someone (not me) sawed off its antlers. I could only guess who....
Nature doesnt waste anything.

Good luck, Tony
Old 10-27-2018, 10:50 AM

the younger the deer the tastier the meat
just like baby cow(veal)is considered better tasting then an old cow by some

Da hawk ate my baby!!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Yeah that's bad finding dead deer like that is never a good thing always be sure of your shot and track a wounded deer until ya find it.
In a perfect world, maybe. Truth is a poor shot can result in an animal you will never find. Certainly exhaust all options before giving up, but if the hunter didn't do his job correctly, the animal may be impossible to find.

It sounds like some of the animals in the OP should have been found without much problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
Nature doesnt waste anything.

Good luck, Tony
I get it, reference to the Wanton Waste thread....Ha ha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in