Pyrodex 50/50 pellets ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigbrownie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Pyrodex 50/50 pellets ?

Do they degrade and have a short shelf life? I shot my Vortek Pistol tonite and it looked like a roman candle when I discharged it.They are close to if not 10 years old but kept in their sealed case and in a dry environment.They worked fine when I used em a couple years ago.I am a pure black fan but figured I,d use em up since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 PM

Yes they do. A few seasons back, my wife had a big doe in front of the ground blind, maybe 20 yards. When she fired, it was just as you described...like a Roman candle. I read up the pellet powder...I use 3 of the 30 gr Pyrodex...an found the they prone to absorbing moisture. They didnít look or feel bad, but several other shots I tried did the same. I pitched the box.

Now, after the season, I vacuum seal whatís in the box to save for the next season.
schappellt likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

+1 on the vacuum sealing. Got the idea from someone on here a few years ago and have been sealing my pellets as well as my open cans of black powder since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

It happened to both my brother and one of our hunting buddies on Friday.

My brother lined up on a nice sized doe around 3PM, 80 yards away, perfect broadside.
Ppppppop! - muted sound, watched a burning pellet go about 25 yards, saw his bullet hit the dirt about 15 yards from him. (Still in the sabot!)
Doe raised her tail and took a few hops, then stood at about 90 yards looking around, then back to grazing as he reloaded.
2nd shot was true and dropped her in her tracks. Turns out he had loaded with the last 2 pellets from a 5-6 year old box.
Speed loader tubes had fresh pellets.

Our buddy had the same thing happen, except he didn't get a second chance at the shot. His doe was only 50 yards away and high tailed it outta there. Same deal, old pellets.

I shoot mine a bit year round, so I don't have pellets for more than about 9 months, a year tops... but I still vacuum seal it between trips for cheap peace of mind.
I seal up my primers as well.. can't hurt.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Good ideas.I,m gonna to that too.I shot another round out of the same box of pellets and it went boom that time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page