Feeling like an idiot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Feeling like an idiot

So im starting to think that im not meant to hunt this year. Went to go sight in my inline yesterday and was not having any luck. i had taken it to my gunsmith to have him do a real deep cleaning on since i have had very little time. i know he removed the scope but he said bore sighted it. i would have 2 shots sort of group then a 3rd would go random. Then i laid the inline in stupid way on the rest and slipped off and bounced and then i gave up. so my question is should i just rebore sight it and start again at 25 yards? Im also wondering how much do you clean between shots. normal i clean every other shot till no residue comes out but should i also use a dry brush? any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I used to swab the bore with alcohol after every shot. This past weekend I just ran a patch covered in wonder lube down the bore. I was using 777 and Shockwave 240's with yellow sabots. My groups got tighter as the day wore on.

it seems like having a dirty bore helps.
AgesofDays, Six-Gun and schappellt like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Banned

Why the heck would the smith take the scope off the gun just to clean it? That would be my first question. And if it were me, I'd re-bore sight the scope just to be safe.
willyp, bohunr and schappellt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Why the heck would the smith take the scope off the gun just to clean it? That would be my first question. And if it were me, I'd re-bore sight the scope just to be safe.
it was going into an ultra sonic cleaner. normally he wouldnt do that but im guessing the new helper decided it was the smart thing to do. it sucks cause i had it dialed in and figured some deep cleaning wouldnt be bad.

i ordered a new laser bore sighter to get a quick idea how much it was off. friday i will start back at 25 yards and see if i can get it dialed in before moving out. plus i wont have to rush it and have the barrel get to warm.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 AM

I think he would have been better to not bore sight it for you. Even after removal no the scope it shouldn’t be far off. Everything should have been marked and torqued when installed so it shouldn’t have changed much. I’ve had laser bore sighting be way off if not done correctly.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

I’d be more concerned about it not grouping than not being zeroed.
I’d suspect either he didn’t remount the scope correctly, and it was slightly loose, or worst-case, did some damage to the crown.
Check that the mounts and rings are properly secured and try to dial it in again.
I’ve had better luck bore sighting my inlines by pulling the breach plug and placing the gun in a steady rest, sighting down the bore and adjusting the scope than I have with laser bore sights. I think there’s just too much “wiggle room” in a 50 cal bore for all but the highest-end lasers.
tdd and Marcus99 like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Definitely use old school bore sighting. Its easy to do, and practically fool proof.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like something is loose to me. I’d check the mounts.
tdd likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't use a bore sighter in any of my firearms. I understand a 50 cal. much larger bigger dia. I get it close, at least on a sheet of paper. What I do a bolt action or any of my in-lines, I rest the firearm on a kitchen chair with the firearm resting on a pillow and look down the barrel to find the door knob or dead bolt on my back entry door 25 feet. Carefully fine tune the crosshairs to bout 1-1.5 inch high from center of door knob or dead bolt. It will get you on paper.
Buckethead and bohunr like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 AM

Keep at it kid you will get it !

WILLY P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page