320gr REAL bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

320gr REAL bullets

These are a lot of fun! I wanted to get back into casting and so i spent the $24 for the mold and i got it in saturday.

They cast clean and drop from the mold very easily. Im really happy with them in the 1:48 Hawken and the 1:32 Mountain Stalker, both shooting 100gr Pyrodex RS. I haven't worked past 50 yards with either rifle yet but may do so tomorrow for the heck of it. Get a little trigger time in before hunting season opens on the 10th.

The CVA Hawken posing with the 320 REALs.

50/50 Mix of Beeswax and Lee Alox lube melted and mixed together. Awesome lube that keeps fouling soft and doesn't melt in your hand leaving it all greasy.

50 yards. The bigger group was with 90gr Pyro RS and the 2 shots touching was with 100gr and a Wad. Neither rifle is fussy over wads but i will test at longer ranges as thats normally where the problems start showing up LOL.

They seem to be a good bullet though. If i draw a Colorado bull tag next year i MAY end up using the Hawken with this combo. I love to try new things and if it anchors an elk, good deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Re: 320gr REAL bullets

I've used them and didn't like them. Either a little to rough to start down the muzzle, or results were not as good as I would expect, although I have seen a few good groups shot by others with them.

I use a mix of equal parts bees wax and micro-crystalline wax (red cheese wax from Gouda cheese) for most of my black powder bullets including the BPCR loads. Alox just seems a bit too stiff, but I'll give it a try.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh these load real smooth down the bore, especially with that lube i make for them. Push with your thumb and then ram it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM

it has been a long time since I checked the shape of my REAL molds, but I think mine have much flatter noses. A flatter nose adds to air resistance and instability. I suppose Lee may have altered the design since 30 years ago when my molds were made. In fact, this morning I was removing some items from my work shop and found an old Lee mold brochure. I'll try to post part of it tonight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yes please post those pictures if you can. I would also like to see the difference. Or should I say the progression of the bullet?? Tom.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 AM

the 45 REAL is flatter. The 50 appears the same. As soon as I get my scanner to talk to my new 'puter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Here is a copy of the Lee Brochure from about 1980. The one pictured has about the same height nose as the OP's bullets. I have the one in 45 caliber and it has much less "nose" on the bullet. Now I have to get a picture of my REALs in 45.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page