1:28 bullet recommendations. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

1:28 bullet recommendations.

Last year I bought a new traditions pa pellet ultralight. I know it’s far from traditional but it is what I could afford. Basically it’s a flintlock with a barrel off an in-line. When I got the rifle I picked up some 777 (loose)and some hornady 250gr sst sabots. The rifle groups great at 50yrds. The problem is it’s high, very high. Target had a 5” bull and with a 6o’clock hold poi is about 6” above center with the sights adjusted all the way down. At 100yrds they hit about 2” above center which is still 5” above hold. I’ve tried from 70-90grs of 777 and group size stays the same just moves higher. I still need some more time at the range to play but I need to decide what bullets to try. I’m thinking heavier and probably full bore instead of sabot. I’m also concerned with bullet performance on deer. I know with a 1:28 a prb is pretty much out at hunting velocities. Can I use a lead bullet or will they slip the rifling? I should probably mention I’m using fffg 777. Honestly I’ve always used fffg, that’s just how I was taught, this is my first attempt with 777. Any recommendations would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Go back to black power and reduce the load. You will get faster ignition also.

Stant
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Regular Visitor

You can use a lead conical. Traditions makes a quality barrel and are not to picky on what they shoot. Maybe try the 385gr hornady great plains bullets or 370gr TC maxi balls to drop that POI down. I personally suggest you get some real Goex black powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
my hunting partner and I use either 300 grain sst with harvester crush rib sabots or 290 grain barnes with the crush rib sabot. Try changing sabots I think you will see your group tighten up.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Sage

In fast 1-28 barrels I've found a longer bullet performs/stabilizes best. Below are 2 bullets/loads I've got excellent results from. My favorite Barnes load is 110 grains of BH209 pushing a Barnes 290 grain .451 290 grain Spit-Fire T-EZ FB. I'm currently shooting this load out of my TC ProHunter inline. Also, 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotips did well for me out of 1-28 Bergara barrels used by CVA. The .452 Hornady bullet/MMP sabot combo(below) was a tack driver out of a Green Mountain 1-28 flinter bbl. The MMP High Pressure sabots can be ordered directly from MMP. They are mfg with a premium polymer formulation and will not blow even with hot loads per my experience.This is a very cost efficient load compared to the prepackaged. Have fun & best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:11 AM

I have a 1:28" green mountain barrel. It shoots 300gr Thor's with amazing accuracy. 100gr of 3f shoots 1 big hole groups at 50yds if I do my part. The Thor's are full bore Barnes bullets.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I’m going to try some type of “belted” bullet and something in all lead. I have a can of fffg goex I plan of trying too. Traditions shows a powder load range of 65-100 grains of 777 for a 240gr sabot bullet so by that I’m nowhere near an overload. But I read last night that hodgdon recommends a 15% reduction from black powder to 777. Correct me if I’m wrong but when using fffg instead of ffg, I believe it is recommended to reduce the charge by 10%. So a 100gr ffg blackpowder loaf should be reduced to 76.5gr of fffg 777. So maybe I am pushing the sst sabots too hard. I did also find in an owners manual for a traditions in-line that they recommend a starting load of 80gr of Black powder or pyrodex but only 56gr of 777.

A few questions for you guys with a lot more blackpowder experience than me...

I see a lot of recommendations to stay away from 777, why? What is the down side?

What are you thoughts on ffg vs fffg in a 50cal. When I started my first flinter was a 22” carbine and the guys who were advising me recommended that.

As far as jacket “full bore” bullets do you prefer belted or not?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Faster ignition with 3f, I shoot 90 gr 3f and 495 lead ball with a .015 patch, This load touches holes at 50 yards off a bench rest.

Remember with BP, if you overload, say 120 gr, all you end up with is unburnt powder coming out the end of your barrel.

Shoot over an old sheet when its not windy, Start at 80 gr, check sheet for unburnt powder, if none go up 10 until you see powder,

Then go back 10 and thats your max load using the same bullet.

Good Luck, Stant
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 PM

What in the world is a "belted" bullet???

There really isn't any way to know how your gun will shoot if you don't test it yourself. 777 and other powders take a higher temp to ignite than true BP. I wouldn't use it in a flinter for that reason alone.

2f vs 3f IMO doesn't matter on bore size. I have 3f loads that are better than 2f loads in a 62cal. You just have to experiment and see what your gun likes.

Lots of guys believe what Stant said about excess powder. I don't. Yes that powder might not be burning completely but it does change the Dynamics of the load. I shoot what's accurate. And I've seen some loads shoot better with "excessive" powder charges.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Sage

Assume by "belted" you mean "jacketed" bullet??

I used to shoot 777(in inlines) but was unhappy with the crude ring accumulation in the bore. Always used black powder in flinters. Best to start low with load & work up. It's a multi trip to the range process as each gun has it's own sweet load. With black powder I now only shoot Swiss as it far more cleaner burning & has a more consistent granulation vs Goex. Goex works fine but if you can get Swiss...try some and you will be pleasantly surprised.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page