The old feud - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The old feud

nutts with it.

Last edited by Curly Maple; 05-17-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

so, rather than lose membership and stay with the tradition on which it was founded and risk competition from another organization the NMLRA gave in for the sake of dollars. kinda like the EPR's with the coolers, cell phones and other modern things out in sight and being used. sure would hate to offend anyone and lose their money! sad, really sad! another thing that tries to get swept under the rug, is the fact that we ARE NOT other parts of the country or another state. we are the ONLY state to offer a "flintlock only" season. again the Hxxx with tradition, I want what I want! again sad!!!!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

What is the purpose of this thread?

This has the potential to get out of hand, and it will get locked/removed if it does.
DIYASUB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 PM

some people can't leave things alone and stir up touble
kudu58 likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

You're getting dangerously close to a removed thread.

What is your purpose here, CM?
kudu58 likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
You're getting dangerously close to a removed thread.

What is your purpose here, CM?

I felt that there are many readers who may not understand how the inline/ traditional feud got started. The other thread didn't need to be clogged up with it.

I'll delete my response to black powder that I believed was appropriate....... and you of course can delete the thread too if you feel it needs to be deleted.
Mike Barcaskey likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

CM, I do support their season 100%, I have no problem with it and hopefully after using an inline during that season it will spark some interest in moving up to a flintlock. I would gladly help and encourage anyone anytime along the way. but, we all know how things have a way of spilling over in this day and age, and there in lies the problem. a little at a time and before you know it a season that was begun as a tradition and a heritage opportunity gets stomped on. we see it every day and it only gets worse. its never enough.
Blue Bird and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
I felt that there are many readers who may not understand how the inline/ traditional feud got started. The other thread didn't need to be clogged up with it.

I'll delete my response to black powder that I believed was appropriate....... and you of course can delete the thread too if you feel it needs to be deleted.
Understood, and for now we're ok with the thread being here.

That can change depending on how things unfold. At the present time, I don't feel the thread needs to be removed.

For all--- this is a topic with a lot of potential to go south in a hurry. Please be respectful and post in a constructive way. If that can't be maintained, the thread will go bye-bye.
DIYASUB likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:05 PM

The NMLRA has been faced with stagnant membership numbers and in an effort to lure new members has moved toward greater acceptance of inlines. Even having matches for them. Most in-line shooters are not interested in competition and have an unfortunate false sense of superiority over traditional muzzle loaders if they could be lured out to a match. In line pistols have had a place in NMLRA matches for decades. but very few rifle matches were open to in-lines. The NMLRA's move has upset many of the long time faithful.

Frankly, a few states have altered their seasons to exclude/discourage in-lines from their primitive weapons seasons. Requiring loose powder, side locks, open sights, etc.

Pennsylvania's Game Commission kept changing the rules to permit non-tradtional muzzleloaders from nearly the very first flint lock season. Plastic stocks, day glo sights, short barreled carbines. pistol grips, etc. They did a way with the round ball requirement a long time ago. They are in part to blame for the in-line fans failure to comprehend the concept of a primitive season. If I had my way, the first week of archery would be limited to traditional wooden bows and arrows. No fibre glass, carbon fibres or sights until the second week. Training wheel bows would not be permitted until the third week.
good ole boy likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen View Post
Pennsylvania's Game Commission kept changing the rules to permit non-tradtional muzzleloaders from nearly the very first flint lock season. Plastic stocks, day glo sights, short barreled carbines. pistol grips, etc. They did a way with the round ball requirement a long time ago. They are in part to blame for the in-line fans failure to comprehend the concept of a primitive season. If I had my way, the first week of archery would be limited to traditional wooden bows and arrows. No fibre glass, carbon fibres or sights until the second week. Training wheel bows would not be permitted until the third week.
The reason I see for that is less to go against tradition and more to try and increase the participation with a lower cost entry. Let's face it, a decent traditional pa longrifle flintlock costs about $700 minimum compared to the $250 for a traditions PA pellet. If the person really enjoyed hunting with a flintlock then they will upgrade to a better one.

I see it in long range PRS shooting, the long time competitors are running $4500+ custom rifles with $2500+ scopes. To someone who has never shot long range but wants to try the sport those numbers are absurd. If that was all that was allowed then the sport would never grow. However these days you can pick up a cheap savage with a budget scope for under $1000 and be competitive enough to figure out if you like the sport, those that do move on to better rifles as funds permit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in