Grouping Question? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Grouping Question?

Muzzleloader hunting is new to me, and I was wondering how close of groups are realistic for my gun. I have a CVA Optima with 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff scope, shooting 295 gr. Power Belt and 100 grains of pellet 777. I do not have a bench for shooting that has a vise for the gun, so my shooting is off of a wooden bench and sandbags. This is what I have always used for the 30-06 and had no problem grouping. I am not sure with a muzzleloader if this would be considered an acceptable group for a new muzzleloader shooter or not. I was told that muzzleloaders have more factors to account for such as cleaning. I was cleaning between every 3 shots with a wet patch followed by two dry ones, and after about every 6 I would take the breech plug out and clean that a bit as well. Also if this is not considered grouping, how do I know if it is my shooting ability or possibly something with the gun or scope?

Here is the target I was shooting at today. Every shot hit in the black rings except the first shot which was high just at the top of the paper. Thanks to all who reply in advance Well I tried to link to the photo, but it doesnt seem to bw working, so I any input is still appreciated and if you have a second and want to check out the i mage I was trying to post you can copy the link into to your browser address bar. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6074925414

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Grouping Question?

Distance?? Tom.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

100 yards sorry I forgot to mention that

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally I would be pretty content with that group. A few factors to consider though is approx. 100 yards or under going to be the range that your comfortable shooting? Also try running a wet patch followed by 2 dry after every shot see if that changes anything. The gun itself is capable of holding much tighter groups then that. I would also try backing down on the grain of bullet. I would try 250 grain shockwaves. Never had any luck with powerbelts personally. But always remember every muzzleloader likes a different load combo. My encore shoots better groups then my buddys with the same load in it. Good luck and good shooting. Don't be ashamed of that group at all brother!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM

swab between each shot.

Is this a new optima with the finger removable breech plug or the older model?

What primers are you using?

Check this out for a tune up tip:
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am using the 777 209 primers, and it the old optima so it has the older style breech plug that must be removed with the provided tool. Most of my shots will be under 100 yards becasue I mostly hunt in wooded areas as well. Thanks agian for all the suggestions

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Get a #32 or 3mm drill bit and clean the breech plugs flash channel. This would be the primer end of the plug. It fills up with carbon pretty fast and should be cleaned every 10 shots or so. Give it a try, you will be surprised. And yes, it can affect your accuracy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Yes swab between each shot, and i would suggest starting out at 25 yards then working your way back to 100 if all your shots are going to be under 100 yards.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Start using Blackhorn 209 powder and you won't have to clean your barrel hardly at all.Your 20th shot will be just as accurate as your first.I do suggest starting at 50 yds first.Good Luck and let's see a 50yd target

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page