Why is ML hunting in PA so restricted? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 169Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Why is ML hunting in PA so restricted?

I feel like ML hunting is the redheaded stepchild of hunting methods in PA. Archery has evolved from long/recurve bows to include compound & X bows, why do we have a problem including caplocks/inlines in a season of its own when we can look for a buck? I already understand nothing prohibits the use during the regular firearms season, but the same argument could be made for archery, the compound bows is a lot easier to use than a recurve & will accurately shoot further with far less practice so maybe it needs a more restricted season & taking X bows out of archery & throwing into the regular rifle season now that some x bow manufacturers are advertising the 100 yard accuracy.
So what is the concern about inlines and caplocks?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:15 AM

I am waiting to hear the reasoning behind this one ?
For myself it matters not either way .
bohunr likes this.

WILLY P
post #3 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The answer more than likely is that the Bow hunters have had more of a voice in the legislature, both in numbers and length of time.

ML hunters would certainly be able to organize and petition for additional opportunities, but it would not happen overnight, and nobody wants to wait on something to happen, they want it now.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 AM

While some "crossbows" are accurate out to 100 yards, it is not an ethical shot to be taken . Shots should be limited to 50 yards or less. If you want to hunt in the late season maybe you should buy a flintlock. They are far more exciting to shoot than an inline.
post #5 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a Muzzleloader Season in October and you can use what ever you want, inline,caplock,flintlock.

There is a Flintlock Season in December/January where you can only use a Flintlock.

Archery season includes about anything with a string on it
Rifle season is any rifle, with caliber restriction.(including Muzzleloader)

So tell me what is it that you have a problem with?
OldMountain likes this.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #6 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would like to see the first week of October set aside for primitive weapons either sex deer. You could use flintlock ,recurve ,longbow, and crossbow with no cams or wheels and no telescope sights on any weapon.In pa you can only harvest one antler deer per year so this shouldn't change the harvest at all. You could call it a Heritage Hunt.
bohunr, USAF_SP, Dogface and 1 others like this.

ole yeller
post #7 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My guess as to why MLs are "restricted" is...they were the last to have a established season...most of the days we have to hunt were already filled... the PGC didn't want to reduce already established seasons to make room for another...harvest goals were already being met...achems razor...

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Last edited by whil e kioti; 04-16-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #8 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM

The true answer is there hasn't been a unified effort. If you want to have a productive discussion and not alienate many supporters, sell merits of the season. No need to tear down archery. Most guys are multi weapon hunters anyway.

I agree open sighted flintlocks and maybe cap sidelocks should have a chance before modern rifles. Week of Thanksgiving seems reasonable to me. No drives allowed in that season ideally. Keep scoped inlines where they belong, in rifle season.

I also think longbows and recurves deserve a separate season, maybe give that 2 or 3 weeks prior to current archery opener.
post #9 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pa is one of the few states that do not allow semi autos for big game.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow Sunday hunting.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow inclines in the late season after Christmas. This is a valid argument just like the first two.
You really want to see the fur fly. Wait until the proponents of the air bow start their rant. Some on this board have already posted opinions and pictures of the ones they own.
post #10 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

for the first time in my hunting history I,m going to buy a good scoped crossbow and hunt when the rut is in full swing( more record bucks are killed then). last year in the fall turkey season over thanksgiving I saw several very large love sick bucks chaseing does and with a crossbow they would have been duck soup(25-40 yards).
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page