Lyman Muzzleloader Recall - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lyman Muzzleloader Recall

I got this from Mid-South Shooters by email today. If Your Lyman is a year old or less, contact is below for the recall.

Hello Midsouth Shooters Customer,

Lyman Products Corp. (“Lyman”) is voluntarily recalling black powder rifles and pistols due to the
potential of separation in the breech plug. Lyman maintains a safety-first approach, so despite finding
only a few firearms affected and no reported injuries, we are offering a recall program to have the issue
corrected. Lyman regrets the inconvenience but remains committed to the safety of our customers.
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457
office: 860-632-2020
www.lymanproducts.com

Products:
This recall includes black powder rifles and pistols regardless of caliber (including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle, Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits, and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models) manufactured from March 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960–A599026 are subject to this recall.

Safety Warning:
Lyman has determined that some black powder rifles and pistols could, under certain circumstances, develop separation in the breech plug, which may pose a potential safety hazard. Please do not load or use any rifles or pistols subject to this recall.
How to Identify Rifles and Pistols Subject to the Recall:
Find the serial number where the barrel meets the tang, opposite of the lock. The serial number has the letter “A” followed by a series of 6 numbers.

Action to be Taken:
If the serial number is within the range of A595960–A599026, immediately discontinue any use of this product. Please contact the Lyman Customer Service Department by emailing [email protected] or by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST. You will be asked to provide your contact information, serial number, and either the part number or model to process the return.
Anyone outside the U.S.A. who is in possession of a black powder rifle or pistol within the recall range should contact your local distributor immediately.

Shipping:
Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barrel and tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes

Sincerely,

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Rusty
BobB and Retiredusne8 like this.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Retired_Rusty; 02-20-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw a photo on another site and it was sent back so they didn't take to long to get a recall out.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

Got scared for a minute until I read the post. My GPR is around 20 years old so I think I'm good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM

thanks for helping to pass the word
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM

It appears that the threaded breech plug shank failed a thread or two into the barrel. Cracked radially and separated. Apparently more than one. If anyone ever sees how little metal actually contains all that pressure, they would not be loading 120 grain charges into patent breech guns.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Regular Visitor

Junk. Their stocks are having huge issues with cracking as well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Maybe, I don't think they are using the real good walnut any more because there is a stained finish on there stocks now , should never have to stain good walnut, just rub it with Tung oil,but I do see that they started a life time warranty last year.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anyone get there return box yet?

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got my shipping tube today and the old barrel is in the mail heading back to Lyman,now to see how long it takes to get the new one back.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM
The Man

Hopefully you,ll get it back before next season.
Retiredusne8 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page