New pa pellet ultralight issues or load choice? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

New pa pellet ultralight issues or load choice?

Just got a New traditions pa pellet ultralight 26 1:28 twist. Ive fired it about a dozen times with no failures except one flint issue( my fault). The ignition on it is great. My problem is it doesnt hit where Id like it to. Grouping at 50yds is great 3 or so but point of impact is high. About 8 above point of hold with the sight blade lowered as much as possible. Im shooting hornady 250gr sabots and 3f triple 7powder. Owners manual shows recommended load of 65-100gr with a 240gr sabot. I tried 80gr and as much as 95 but hits in the same place. Id like to keep the speed up as much as possible for flat shooting and expansion. As it is now Im about 4-5 high at 100yds with a 4-5 group. Ran out of range time and dont have a chronograph so I was hoping someone might have some insight. With the barrel on this flintlock it should take similar loads to an inline. And info would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Put a taller front sight on it .
Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

That is an option. Rifle came with Williams sights. They make two front blades .500 and .550. Not to sound dumb but is .050 enough to make a 6 difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 AM

divide 150 ft by your sight radius length in feet and then multiply that number by .050. that i how much your group will change. So for instance, if it is 24 inches between sights, that would be 150ft divided by 2ft = 75 75 x .05 = 3.75 inches. a good part of the way you need. Then work on lowering the rear sight.
Retiredusne8 and Chaos USMC like this.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 AM

boy is he smart or what?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I known 777 makes more pressure than traditional black powder but is seems odd that a load near the middle of the recommended range would be off the scale on the sights. Is anyone else shooting the new ultralight yet? I feel like if I was overpowering the group wouldnt be as nice as it is.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM

It isn't so much a matter of whether the charge is moderate or high. at 50 yds the projectile is still generally on the way up along the path to actual point at which the barrel is aimed. Your sights will of course be aimed lower to account for gravity. Some folks can tell you to the fraction of the inch how high the ball is at 50 yds and 75 yds and be on at 100.

In general the rule is to move the rear sight the direction you want the point of impact to go.

Some feel there is a single magic load combination for a particular gun. I believe there may be several.

Another possibility is that your bore is slightly off center. (almost all bores are off center to some microscopic extent) it may appear fine at the muzzle but can be several hundredths off down in the barrel. Numrich arms sold hundreds maybe thousands of such barrels years ago and the instructions for builders was to simply put the off center end at the breech and at the bottom. Most of those barrels shot with a degree of fine accuracy if the instructions were followed. Putting the off center end down merely threw the ball a bit higher than if the bore was straight. Something that would be compensated for when sighting the barrel in.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Im going to try a few more load combinations but I think Ill be filing a warranty claim. I dont know if they will do anything about it but a gun fireing within the recommended load and nowhere near the limit should impact somewhere within the range is the factory sights.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Regular Visitor

Put a shim under the rear sight.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

That would go the other way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in