Just getting into the sport - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Just getting into the sport

My dad just bought me a flintlock last night. I had never shot one before but the always interested me. I am an avid fly fisherman and archery hunter and enjoy the challenging sports.

I was wondering the best way to clean the barrels on these guns? And also the best way to keep the powder in the "charge pan" (sorry if my jargon is not correct) dry.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Re: Just getting into the sport

First pass, I boil water in a pot, and add soap detergent (your choice) when I remove from the stove. Remove the touch-hole screw. I wear kevlar (welding gloves) and swab up/down the barrel with the hot soapy water. The gloves will protect your hands from the extreme heat of the water and barrel. I then swab until clean with a bore cleaner. Pretty much it for after-shot cleaning at home.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 PM

What kind of gun do you have? Some guns have barrels that are made to be removed for cleaning, others do not

As for the powder staying in the pan, the lock pan, the frizzen base and the side of the barrel should all be fitted so close together that the powder can't fall out, either between the pan and the base of the frizzen (when closed) or between the pan and the barrel. or even between the barrel and the frizzen. It is one of the more crucial fits of the entire gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
The Man

1st check to see if its loaded by blowing down the bore and listen if air comes out the touch hole.Also your rod will almost drop the whole way down the bore if unloaded.

When I get a "new to me" muzzy,I give the barrel a good scrubbing.If it has a wedge pin and hook breech,remove the barrel.Remove the touch hole with screw driver or hex wrench.If its tight,put the breech end in hot water for awhile and try again.Then with a aluminum rod,T handle,jag,and 0000 steel wool with oil,scrub the bore.This will clean up and polish that rifling.After that warm soapy water with a warm rinse.Dry bore with hair drier.When storing do not use petrolium products.They work but be sure to whipe bore with clean patches before firing.Burned oil makes tar!I use olive oil but there are others.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not a big fan of putting my mouth over the muzzle of a gun. There seems to be only one reasonable reason to perform this procedure, and there is some degree of finality in it.

Where does your ramrod reach along the outside of the barrel? The breech plug reaches 1/2 inch into the barrel at the breech end. The ramrod will hit the face of the breech plug with a metal to metal sound, 1/2 inch shy of the joint of barrel meeting breech plug. If the ramrod exits the muzzle by a half inch, it's empty, or if the ramrod protrubes and inch and a half to two from the muzzle, this will indicate one with a old charge of powder, patch, and ball.

Welcome to our world! When you and your flintlock both smile together over tight groups and instantaneous ignition, a center fire weapon won't hold a candle to your new relationship!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 AM
The Man

Congrats on your first flinter! If you and your dad need any hands on help; I'm just down over the mountain in Altoona.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Part of the Community

Congratulations Bowmike!

You never mentioned what brand/style of rifle you have but all the tips you have got are correct. Like Zimmer said about the frizzen to pan fit...ensure there is no gap when closed. A swipe around the mating surface of your pan with a tube of chap stick will keep the moisture out in rainy weather but generaly it should be OK.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Part of the Community

A copy of Lymans Blackpowder Handbook is priceless when starting out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM

I am not that far from you and if you ever want to shoot some weekend I am game

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 AM

Today is rancher00's birthday!

If it has a removable breech plug then I would clean it like a regular rifle. But most don't so I take the touch hole out and put the barrel in a bucket of warm water. Then dry it out real good with cleaning patches and finally coat the bore with some oil.

As far as keeping powder pan dry, the make a product called dry powder to mix with your FFFFg that is supposed to keep it dry. I just change my frequently instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page