Load recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Load recommendations

I have a TC Hawkins 50 cal.....what is the best load for this gun? I want to use conical bullets and not round ball with patch...will be using 2F powder...also might have my son shooting....what is the lowest effective charge for deer? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

With that set-up, I'd start at 80grs FF and move up at 5 gr increments. You normally lose accuracy with too much powder and accuracy is what it's all about.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM
The Man

Here is what Goex says.

GOEX Load Chart

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Per chart I should use 370 gr projectile with 80 to 100gr of 2F....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

80 or 90 grains of 2fg is all you really need to kill deer, even if using a large conical like a t/c maxi ball. That big chunk of lead doesn't have to be moving real fast to get the job done. My son has been shooting them out of his traditions flintlock and 80 grains has been giving him good groupings at 50 yards.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 PM
The Man

Your best load is what will group the tightest and be able to hit what you aim at with that 1ST shot out of a clean bore.That gun WILL give you less than 1 1/2"groups at 50yds. when you find what it likes be it maxi or RB.
With blackpowder more is not always better.If it groups well with 60grs,use it.I'm killing deer with my small frame 45's and 50grs of powder.Key is to find what YOUR gun likes then hit them in the heart or lungs.A deer will not live or go far with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs.
blackpowder and Blue Bird like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just FYI. Great feedback, I'm learning along with RuffedG. Since I did not harvest during archery or rifle, I am counting on my first attempt with flintlock using the same rifle... Thanks all.
willyp, blackpowder and Blue Bird like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos USMC View Post
Just FYI. Great feedback, I'm learning along with RuffedG. Since I did not harvest during archery or rifle, I am counting on my first attempt with flintlock using the same rifle... Thanks all.
Just keep hitting the range, and play around with different loads, etc, and you will find something that works. Once you find out what your gun likes, then stick with it. Some guys play around and never decide upon the correct load. Once you hit pay dirt stay there.
willyp, blackpowder and Chaos USMC like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Part of the Community

.50 cal hawkins 1-48 twist

1-48 twist will shoot a .490 rb very good ..We use 3 f not 2 f ..With 3 f you have to reduce your loads by 10% vrs 2f...I use.018 pillow tick ,hornady rb ,bore button on powder and 70 grs of 3f for deer..I cut the pillow tick at muzz with knife ..

Now i have friend that shoots thousands of shots with rb in .50 cal hawkins ...He uses 90 grs of 3 f ...To me that is just too much recoil,smoke, noise but he knows he stuff ..I like 70 grs best ,no kick and not as much smoke and my bullets are almost touching at 50 yards...

I also clean barrel after every shot at range ..

Do not let anyone tell ya a hawkins 1-48 twist will not shoot a rb well ,it will VERY WELL...

Got of topic Question was what load using Conical..

Powerbelts hollow point 295/348 work well ,i like the 348 best as its LONGER.. And it goes thru deer better ..NOW you cannot beat the original 370 maxi-ball if you like bore butter thing and cheaper prices than powder belt ..HAWKINS was made for maxi-ball not maxi-hunters...LONGER bullets work better in 1-48 twist ....So stay with those 2 ...For load of 2f geox I would use around 70/ grs with both if you go to 80 grs and your bullets open up back down to 70 grs if they close up stay with 80 grs but remember more kick with 80 grs ...sight in your gun at 13 yards using the 6 o,clock hold then move pout to 50 yards and check your groups....

Last edited by ROOSTER COGBURN; 12-27-2017 at 10:37 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:51 AM
Part of the Community

I have a TC hawken. 100 gr. of 2F and 250 gr. shockwave. 3 consistent groups at 100 yards off sandbags.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page