Shot my first underhammer! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrontierMuzzleloading

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Shot my first underhammer!

What a blast! I felt I was cheating with 4x scope, but it was a lot of fun to the point I was actually shaky.

.45cal ( custom fit 45-70 barrel ) Underhammer
30.5"L 1-1/8"W barrel
1:22 twist
.440" round balls with .020" patch ( spit lube patch )

I first took it to 25 to zero in the scope, then backed out to 50 yards after I wiped the bore clean in the house and loaded up an assortment of powder charges.

At 50 yards, I first used 50 grains 3fg Goex and took my first 3 shots ( top right ) then I adjusted the scope down and center, took 3 more shots.

Next, for the fun of it, I loaded up a hunting charge of 70gr 3fg goex! The recovered patches were still in perfect shape as well. I kept them within 1 1/2" group with that big charge. Not bad at all! I was shaky, so I think that group will improve the next time I get set up on something a little more sturdy to offset my shakes.

I think I will hold on to her a little longer, play with her, refinish the barrel and stock and then maybe trade or sell her off down the road. A beautiful shooting underhammer indeed! I will however put a higher power scope on it! I have a nice Konus Pro 3-10x44 with super fine cross hairs that I think will do the job nicely.
Laylow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree I'd be shaky also. The gun is not a shooter. I'll send you my address to take it off your hands.

On a side note that's pretty darn good! I think you could probably fine tune that one and have a tick licker of a gun.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 AM

the old H&A underhammer light bench target models were like that. I put Lyman peep sights on mine and shot several winning groups at 100 yds in regional cross stick and light bench matches. the problem was that they were 45 caliber and any cross winds played heck on groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

If I were shooting the big ol 400+ grain conicals that she was made for, i dont think would play much into that. I just dont feel like shooting such a huge bullet. 50-100 yard round ball plinking is a pleasure for me with this rifle LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page