Powder question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Powder question

I am kinda new to flintlocking and i have a question on what powder to use in the barrel and what powder for the ignition. Just want to make sure i am using the correct powder. I currently use 4f in the pan but not sure of the powder for in the barrel. I am picking up GOEX black powder tonight and want to get the correct powder. Thanks

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 AM

4F will work for the main and prime charges. But just remember that you measure the main charge by volume not weight.

I use 3F for the main and prime as it not only simplifies things but the 3F will not dribble out of a closed pan so easily as 4F. FWIW...........

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank, just want to make sure i buy the right stuff.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 AM

For patched round ball The old rule of thumb was 3fg for every thing under 50 cal and 2fg for everything 50 caliber and up. With a modern steel barrel, folks can use moderate charges of 3fg in 50 and 54 caliber guns. Moderate being 80 grains and less.

Shooting a conical or bullet changes the pressure curve and I would not be shooting 3fg in anything over 45 cal with a bullet.

You can get away with 3fg in the barrel and the pan, but 3fg in the pan, is ever so slightly slower to ignite the charge. Many hunters can't tell the difference in speed. Match shooters can notice right off.

Two things about loading. Pour the charge down the barrel and before the patch and ball, or bullet, use the palm of your hand and bump the side of the gun two or three times. It helps settle the powder into the area inside the touch hole. You should be able to see grains of powder inside the touch hole. Then load the PRB or bullet.

Filling the pan, usually leads to a hiss before the gun goes off. Put just enough powder to cover the bottom of the pan.

When the gun goes off, most beginners hear the classic TV & Movie reaction of kachunk-sssssssss-boom. When you get accustomed to your gun and lock and loading, your gun should just go ka-boom. with no ssss between. With many custom locks, the shooter does not even hear the ka, the gun just goes boom.

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; 12-13-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, i should have mentioned i am using patch with round ball on an older 54 caliber T/C

4B
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
4F will work for the main and prime charges. But just remember that you measure the main charge by volume not weight.
I use 3F for the main and prime as it not only simplifies things but the 3F will not dribble out of a closed pan so easily as 4F. FWIW...........
4F WILL NOT WORK for the main charge, this is EXTREMELY dangerous. 4F is ONLY for the pan.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Thanks, i should have mentioned i am using patch with round ball on an older 54 caliber T/C
I suggest starting out with 80 grains of 2f as your main charge, and 4f in your pan. You do not need to fill the pan only enough for a speedy ignition.
BCozhunter likes this.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

4B
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM
The Man

NEVER use FFFFg down the barrel.If you are fairly new to muzzys,please read this !

M/L Basics
blackpowder and K. Gus like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have always use 3f goex as my only powder without any issues, no need to have two different powders....in my pan as well....

exocet w/STS, ground pounder
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page