Amazes me ! Maximum charge ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Amazes me ! Maximum charge !

Why do so many folks have to use,or try to, the maximum load in a muzzle loader ? Some folks try it right from the begging of their shooting of a new rifle .
It is so much better and satisfying to start low and then try going up slow ! Then you may see how the gun handles it ?
I could be wrong but i am happy with my results .

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Because idiots abound everywhere....

I had a guy almost laugh at me one time when he asked me how much powder I was using, and I told him 80 grains of 2fg behind a .530 t0 .535 ball. He said "oh that load is no good for deer hunting, you need at least 100 to 110 grains". At that point I knew he was a clueless moron, so I told him to hit the road.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Bigger is better mentality. Same reason guys deer hunt with .300win mag or bigger.
jimsdad and Six-Gun like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Sage

This is America brother, bigger is better, didn't you know that?
Marcus99 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

so, just to throw out some numbers for you all: .530 rb, 28" barrel. 0 @50 yards.

80gr 2f = 1519 fps 100gr 2f = 1590 fps

75 yards -2.7" 75 yards -2.5"
100 yards -7.7" 100 yards -7.4"

or: 70 gr 3f = 1512 fps

not worth getting beat up or using the extra powder for!

Last edited by blackpowder; 12-13-2017 at 08:25 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:07 AM

been saying that here for years. But the popeye syndrome runs deep in every Bubba across the country. If hitting something is good, hitting it harder is better. ie more powder. They never stop to think of the fact that extra powder is often simply burned in muzzle flash and the velocity gains are minimal while the pressure still spike upward. They think somehow that white tail have evolved into the dangerous game of 1800's Africa and attempt to copy the loads used by the great African hunters of the mid 1800's.
Gun companies do not help the matter by peddling fancy plastic tipped bullets and nuclear propellant pellets are guaranteed to shoot straighter and hit harder, for so long as they can pick the customers pocket for a premium price. This isn't the wide pen spaces of the Northern Plains, In PA most deer are shot at 30 to 40 yards. You don't need a 400 yd Buffalo killer load. Some guys apparently can't tell a white tail from a cape buffalo.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Bigger is better mentality. Same reason guys deer hunt with .300win mag or bigger.
What are you trying to say about me huntin' with a .300 win? Just kidding. I use it because thats my only huntin rifle but I acknowledge that it is way more then plenty for deer. It is scary to think of people starting at max charge. I have limited experience with ML but I know that with centerfire reloading you need to start low and work up. My .300 mag shows presssure signs well before max charge. I'm thinking many ML guys may not understand the risk of going to max charge out of the gate. Pretty scary stuff.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
so, just to throw out some numbers for you all: .530 rb, 28" barrel. 0 @50 yards.

80gr 2f = 1519 fps 100gr 2f = 1590 fps

75 yards -2.7" 75 yards -2.5"
100 yards -7.7" 100 yards -7.4"

or: 70 gr 3f = 1512 fps

not worth getting beat up or using the extra powder for!

Is there a formula to roughly figure out your velocity and trajectory?

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
What are you trying to say about me huntin' with a .300 win? Just kidding. I use it because thats my only huntin rifle but I acknowledge that it is way more then plenty for deer. It is scary to think of people starting at max charge. I have limited experience with ML but I know that with centerfire reloading you need to start low and work up. My .300 mag shows presssure signs well before max charge. I'm thinking many ML guys may not understand the risk of going to max charge out of the gate. Pretty scary stuff.
Ya I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with it. My primary deer rifle is a 7mmWSM so I'm not too far off in terms of power. Like you, I acknowledge that it's more than enough for deer. I know I don't NEED all the power. If that's all you have to use, you're better off than someone that only has a .223 hahaha.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

I just got into muzzleloaders this year and got a CVA. I'm very impressed with the info that they put out, particularly youtube videos. I followed they're recommendations of two white hots and powerbelts and the thing shot great right off the bat. I know both of these are not recommended by most hardcore muzzloading guys but if I can put three shots touching at 75 yards with it I'm pretty confident as I probably wouldn't take a much longer shot anyway. Not sure why people would go with three whitehots just because the ballistics chart has info for that load. I learned the overloading lesson with my .280. Ammo ain't easy to find so I took the first box I found. Decent two shot group, adjust sights, shot goes 8 inches the other way. Just as i thought it was dialed it would throw one. Over and over; I was convinced that I was just a bad shot. Finally got some good advise to try a smaller load and I no longer question my shooting.
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page