Triple Seven Problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Triple Seven Problems

I have read several places that triple seven powder has a limited shelf life. Could this change the point of impact out of an inline rifle with powder that is only a year and a half old? This year I sighted my inline in with loose triple seven powder dead on at 100 yards in October for the early season. I took this gun out prior to rifle season to check it at the range and found my shots were still on left and right but were impacting about 8 inches high at 100 yards. Has anyone else had this experience? Could my powder have drawn moisture over time and gone bad (powder is roughly one and a half years old)? I have a quality scope on my inline so I don't think the scope is the issue. I also realize the shooter could be the problem, but I had just finished shooting less than an inch group with my regular deer rifle so I don't think that is the case either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this shift to a higher group?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 AM

I can't comment on the powder because I never use anything but Goex. From what you have described I would suggest that you look to the firearm in terms of functionality and maintenance (all the stuff you read here about clean bores / tight screws -- yada, yada, yada).
If you have another ML rifle maybe try that powder in this gun and see how it performs as some sort of baseline test. If you have similar issues in another gun; then I think it's time to dump that 3x7 stuff and think of another fuel for your ML shooting.

Keep us posted.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would think if your powder lost potency you would be hitting lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM
New Arrival

Those are NOT symptoms of either old or moistured powder.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Part of the Community

I have triple 7 pellets I came across 10 years ago. Still shoot fine, must store in dry conditions. I had bought 12 packs and never had a problem to date. Primers are another story, replace yearly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:58 PM

The wife vacuum seals my powder pack after the season. I havenít had any issues since Iíve done this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would think that you'd hit low with lost potency. I had an experience a few years ago where I was using my 777 pellets and the gun was shooting fine. I flew to Iowa to hunt with a friend, and since I was flying I couldn't take powder with me on the plane, so my friend who was driving in from another state brought 777 pellets with him. I was shooting 3 x 50 grain pellets at home and the recoil wasn't an issue. I got there, went to the range, and those 777 pellets he brought along all but laid me out from the kick! I'm guessing that my powder had picked up moisture, because I was shocked at the difference in the kick. Either they went bad, or else mine were not formulated properly because my friend was surprised that I was able to handle the 150 grains at home.

I like the idea of vacuum sealing!

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page