First time shooting finally - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

First time shooting finally

I bought a used traditions deerhunter 3 years ago, and it has sat in gun safe since. I finally took it out this morning and while it was fun to shoot I couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn with it. Shooting high right from 25yards not even on paper at 50. I think some of it may be me pulling and flinching but the sights suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 01:30 PM
The Man

Put an aperture sight on it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

I'm sure the sights are fine, its you, I guarantee. Not saying that in a bad way, but with a flintlock practice definitely makes perfect. You can't go out two days before the season, having never fired the gun, and expect great results. Take it out several times a year and play around with it, and I guarantee you will see results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I know I figured most of it was me, but I am thinking of getting a set of rmc v peep sights for it. I will probably just take the bow out late season again until I get used to the flintlock.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Part of the Community

It could be a a combination of factors. As others have said, practice is essential for accuracy with a flintlock. Another factor could be what kind of bullet you are shooting. Different muzzleloaders have different rates of twist in the rifling and this leads to some bullets being more accurate than others. I am not familiar with the specs and/or rifling on the gun you mentioned, but a good starting point may be to find out he rate of twist and then research to see what bullets are most accurate with that rifling. For example flintlocks with a slow rate of twist often are most accurate with a patched round ball, others may be more accurate with different conical bullets.
loridr likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyBearcat View Post
It could be a a combination of factors. As others have said, practice is essential for accuracy with a flintlock. Another factor could be what kind of bullet you are shooting. Different muzzleloaders have different rates of twist in the rifling and this leads to some bullets being more accurate than others. I am not familiar with the specs and/or rifling on the gun you mentioned, but a good starting point may be to find out he rate of twist and then research to see what bullets are most accurate with that rifling. For example flintlocks with a slow rate of twist often are most accurate with a patched round ball, others may be more accurate with different conical bullets.
Quite right. I'm sure its similar to my son's Traditions Frontier Hawken. If so, then its got a 1/48 twist. This has always been claimed to be a good all around rate of twist, but in reality its more suited to conicals than round balls. If he tries a t/c maxi ball or a Lee REAL bullet, I bet he will see marked increase in accuracy. That and practice to minimize the flinch factor by ignoring the initial flash of the lock. That alone does more guys in than anything when shooting flintlocks. And if he tries to get the lock sparking faster, and there are ways to do this, he will also see improvement.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM
The Man

Good read for the beginner here!

M/L Basics

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My traditions only shoots round ball, As i found out the rifleing is deeper in a flintlock than in an inline.

Good luck, Stant
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

It does have a 1:48 twist, and I am using patch and ball with 80grains of Black powder down the barrel.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stant View Post
My traditions only shoots round ball, As i found out the rifleing is deeper in a flintlock than in an inline.

Good luck, Stant
I doubt rifling depth has anything to do with it. Its the rate of twist that determines whether the gun should be loaded with round balls or conicals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page