Luck or skill ? My son . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By willyp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Luck or skill ? My son .

5 years ago my neighbor gave me a Traditions in line rifle he had used. He said when it get wet it rust !!!!!! DUH ? I took it to my shed and cleaned the surface rust form it and cleaned the barrel of some minor pitting ! Next i took it to the range and loaded up 70 gr. of 2-f black powder and a 240 gr. Cheap shot. Shot it at 50 yards 3 or 4 times and it grouped really well. I played with it and got the scope in well.
I took it home and it set in the corner for a couple of years. I had 4 CVA Wolf rifles i used and my family borrows ? My youngest son[of whom is 40] said he would like to try shooting an in line and was looking at buying one. He,my oldest son[he is 51] and i met at the range to shoot the in lines for some fun !
The only thing i changed with the Cheap Shots is to use Harvester Crush Rib sabots instead of the ones that come with the bullets. I helped him,the younger son,load the rifle and he proceeded to shoot from my rest. That was all the instructions i gave him. The rifle shot very well and he had very good groups. He even was almost dead on at 100 yards !
This in line season he took a doe in his home area. He said it was about 80 yards and only took one hop and dropped. Well ole dad is a skeptical person ? So i just said good shooting and thought to myself i'd have to have been their to believe it?
We all met at my older sons for the last 2 days of in line and senior rifle doe hunt .
I was in eye sight of him and seen a doe come thru the woods in front of him. I seen this boy pick out that deer and off hand fire the gun and the deer reared up and fell over ! This was well over 80 maybe 90 yards.
I think,since he is my son.it is skill and maybe a tiny hint of luck,but i seen him do it !
dutchman41mag likes this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page