Eye-shine in the dark - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Eye-shine in the dark

Question for experienced muzzleloader hunters. I went out Saturday morning at about 5:30 am at a State Game Land. Needless to say, it was pitch black. On the way out to my stand, there were the eyes of several deer shining in the dark along side of the trail. Apparently they bed down in the scrub along the trails frequently. I considered just sitting down stark still and waiting for shooting light to try and get a shot at one. I decided against it and bumped them out on the way to my stand, and saw nothing else the whole sit. Has anyone else seen eyes shining in the dark, and just sat down and waited for shooting light? Is it a good tactic? Thanks in advance as always for your replies.

The hare is smarter than the panther.

Last edited by Eddie Stover; 10-17-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: I wrote the wrong day. Muzzleloader season didn't open until Saturday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Why not just set up in the dark to be ready to hunt in that area come shooting light if you think the deer are bedding there? If you cant find A Way to do that then dont walk through that area untill shooting light. Or perhaps set up in the area that you think the deer will go if someone else comes along the trail and bumps them. Shining a light around looking for shining eyes is a sure way to spook deer. On the flip side I killed a big doe with the bow the other year in kinda a simliar way. Not with eyeshine but it was a bright enough moon that I saw dim silhouettes that I thought were deer feeding in an open meadow that I was quietly sneaking along the edge of while heading towards my stand tree. I simply got down in a low brushy swale and waited for shooting light and got a 30 yard shot at the big doe. Mind you this was on private ground so I wasnt worried about someone else coming along and spooking them.

Last edited by huntinlandscaper; 10-16-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page