Powerbelt Terminal performance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Powerbelt Terminal performance

Just curious as to what experiences others have had with powerbelts on deer. I have shot 3 deer with them and have NOT been impressed. First 2 were with my traditions inline. Both were using 295gr aerotips. First was over a 100gr Pyrodex charge (2 pellets). Shot was 60 yards at broadside doe. Deer showed no reaction to hit and slowly kept walking. Bullet entered just behind shoulder and was complete pass through double lung hit. Deer went only about 15 yards, however there was no blood trail, I mean NONE, not even blood on hide of deer. Exam of carcass showed equal size entry/exit meaning no expansion.
2nd deer with inline was also a medium sized doe. This time charge was 80grs loose pyrodex. 70yd shot broadside double lung hit complete passthrough. Deer ran away and went about 60 yards before piling up in sight of stand. Walked right to deer but then noticed like first deer there was no blood on deers sides so I backtracked along its path and was unable to find even a drop of blood. Equal entry/exit holes.
3rd deer was a 30yd shot out of my firestorm flinter. Load was a 245gr aerotip over 80grs of goex 2f. Broadside shot that caught 1 lung and broke a few ribs. Deer ran and went about 40yds and piled up and once again I was unable to find a drop of blood and this time there was snow on the ground.once again equal sized entry/exit holes.

In all 3 combinations these bullets were deadly accurate at the range. All 3 quickly killed the deer, BUT showed no signs of expansion and made a near zero blood trail and if the deer hadnt dropped in sight or if I had been hunting in thicker terrain I may have thought I missed or had a time finding the deer.
Needless to say I switched bullets.
Anyone else had problems like this or good experience with powerbelts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 PM
The Man

I use the 295 hollow points and have zero issues. If I killed three deer and none were lost or went more than 60 yards, I think I'd be happy with that.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

As I noted in the post the deer didnt go far, but there was literally no blood trail on any and this was with basically perfect broadside shots in sparse cover areas. Had they been less than ideal hits where the deer would have went farther or been In thicker cover with no blood trail I may have assumed a miss after tracking 50-60 yds with no sign of a hit.also on the first deer I really thought I missed as the deer showed no reaction and I was pretty shocked when it dropped after walking a few steps. Also on the one I hit with the flinter I was beginning to think miss as I was able to track exactly where the deer ran due to snow and had no blood yet when I literally walked up on it laying dead.
willyp and WADMAN like this.

Last edited by huntinlandscaper; 10-06-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:21 AM

Over the years i have read a lot of stories such as yours .
I would say it comes down to how convenient the bullet is to load down the barrel not how if actually does its job.
A lot of folks don't have the time to go play with their guns so they use what is the quickest and easiest to get to work for them. I have no problem with this but i often wonder how many deer have been lost due to this lack of blood trail with some bullets .
I am guilty of laziness also. We use Cheap Shots in our in lines and Flint locks! These seem to put a decent size hole in the targeted game and a blood trial.
I set our guns up using loose powder. 2FF black powder.

WILLY P
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:09 AM

I shot three deer with the 245gr hollow points when I first got my inline a few years ago. All three behind the shoulder broadside shots, all three dropped in their tracks. The only reason I stopped using them was that I wasn't happy with their accuracy beyond 100 yards.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM
The Man

I have killed deer with muzzys in 45,50,54,and 58.Killed them with Powerbelts,TC Maxis,and RB's.Killed them with 120grs of powder to 45grs.
Conclusion: Hit them in the heart or lungs and they don't live or go far with anything.
From what I understand a deer will not live longer than 7 seconds hit in the heart or lungs.Some drop,some run.Understand also that drop or run was determined if they had just taken a breath or just exhaled.
Shoot and use what you can hit the EXACT spot you are aiming at with the 1st shot.Thats the one that counts!
It ain't gonna live with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs!
blackpowder likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Started as a 50cal 295gr Powerbelt Aerotip (est. velocity 1600fps). Recovered from just under the far side hide of deer that was shot behind the shoulder at 30yds. Deer traveled 50 to 60 yards after being shot, leaving a good blood trail. This was the tenth deer I have shot with the 295gr Powerbelt and the first bullet I was able to recover, three deer ran (all under 75yds) the rest dropped when hit. I have complete faith in the 295gr Powerbelts.

Good luck, Tony

1.2" 288.6gr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1493.jpg (655.5 KB, 15 views)
kudu58 likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

410-er I understand what your saying and agree but im sure you will agree that under hunting conditions we dont always hit exactly where we are aiming for one reason or another and this is where a blood trail is very important.
If you google this subject you will find volumes of stories like mine with these powerbelts as well as stories of them completely blowing up and fragmenting when hitting light bone. Agree with willyp when he says that these bullets are so popular because they are easy to load,dont require alot of load development to be range accurate and are stocked in most stores, and the shooters are blissfully unaware of their often reported issues on game(as I was prior to these incidents)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM

i use the 295 grain copperclad hollow points. excellent accuracy at 100 yards and the deer are DRT. none have traveled very far and all left excellent blood trails. never needed to track any of them, watched them fall. i use two 50grain pyrodex pellets to send them to where ever deer go when they die.
kudu58 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 AM
The Man

I don't depend on blood trails as much as I do scuffed up leaves and bent grasses.Try it sometime.Squat down where the deer stood.You can see the direction of travel.
bohunr and bigguy54 like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page