I Will the point of impact change? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I Will the point of impact change?

I'm thinking about spending a lot of time this summer on the range getting better aquainted with my flintlock.Since I got it so close to the season last year, I didn't have time to play with different loads. Once I find the best load now (June, July, August), will it make a major difference in December and January?

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
The Man

Re: I Will the point of impact change?

It might change a little due to the temperature change. I'd find what shoots best now, then check right before the season. Better yet, just keep practicing occasionally the whole time. Your point of impact can change simply by wearing different clothes. If you're wearing bulkier clothes than you practiced with, you will hold the rifle different. Good luck.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
The Man

Two years ago I missed the same doe twice, in fact, she watched me reload after the first miss and refused to run after the second miss! So if you ask me, then "YES" your flintlock can be off as much as three feet...particularly with a live target 30 yards away standing broadside, especially on heavily hunted SGL's!!!

Actually, my rifle was sighted in at 100 yards during the spring that year and I only fired 2 shots before the hunting season started in the fall to make sure it was still "on". Last year, I sighted in at 50 yards (typical open-site killing range) and practiced at that range through the summer up till hunting season started and I felt confident I would harvest anything within that range so long as I kept my powder dry. All went well until I had a buck 40 yards away on the last day of the season, when the gun misfired! I recharged the pan and aimed at a stump after the buck ran off...KABOOM!

I think the uncertainty of the whole experience is what drives me to keep doing it...very exciting...and frustrating at times, but humility is a good thing, right?

I killed the stump, by the way!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM

You will have to use a Lube that wont freeze. I use a combination of Bear Grease and Bees wax. Track of the Wolf sells a great all season lube called Trappers Mink Oil Tallow. A Tin will last a long time. Shouldn`t have too much of an impact change from hot to Cold weather....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks- my concern was due to the contraction/expansion in temperature changes. Off to the range!

Wishing I was at camp!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Try a ghost ring sight. Practise practise practise!!!
MEAT IN THE HOLE HOLE IN THE MEAT!!!
Smage
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM

i shoot year round and i really see a difference when there is high humitty .there is really no difference between hot and cold weather like somebody said earlier more cloths you hold a little different then less cloths is all about practicing and not getting deer fever and wondering if the gun is going off its all about having fun

hate hang fires
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 AM

Just the light conditions on a sight can alter the point of impact. Some target shooters pack small vials of red, yellow or white paint to change the contrast on the back of the front sight. Shooting a barrel until it gets warm changes the sight picture, with the heat rising off the barrel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
The Man

Get TIGHT groups now.Hunt groundhogs during the summer.The smaller ones are about the size of a deers vitals.This will help with pulling the gun off when the pan flashes.After rifle season,resight in to make sure nothing changed.Lubes will stiffen some but usually don't change dramatic enough for a miss.
Don't forget to run a wet patch followed by a dry or 2 after 1-3 shots.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Regular Visitor

The hotter the temp of the powder the faster it will burn and the higher the muzzle velocity; however unless you are shooting artillery several kilometers, I can't image it will change your point of impact very much at 100 yds. I say shoot as much as you can this summer... can't hurt your ability in the fall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page