CVA Accura V2 W/konuspro scope help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question CVA Accura V2 W/konuspro scope help

So i bit the bullet last winter and jumped into the inline world mainly due to hunting in MD and inline opportunities there (also can use it where would be required to use a shotgun but don't personally have a good slug gun). Anyway I bought a CVA Accura V2 (magnum) in .50 cal, with the nitride barrel and thumbhole stock.

So far, it's been a new learning curve from the flintlock world, and standard rifle world.

So pretty much i'm looking for some advice. I tried sighting in with the recommended loads/ (3 whitehots, with 245 gr Barnes Spit-fire MZ. 209 primer. I've had to it the range twice, and gotten quite frustrated both times. the first time at 75 yds it was shooting pretty much everywhere. About the time i'd think i'd have a group to adjust the scope it would throw a wild one like 6 or 8 " away.

Today, I decided to just shoot 50 yds and try to dial it in from there. 1st shot was about 3" high dead center. I felt good about the shot, and adjusted the scope down 2". Next shot dead center 1" high. Felt real good. 3rd shot, 3" high, 1" right... DOH!!! what caused that!? Reload, next shot, 3" high, 1/2" right..

So, I decided to give it a rest before i got frustrated.

I guess my questions are these..

What is a good recommendation for a good load (deer load for anywhere form 50 yds - 200 yds.

Is it the scope that's causing inconsistency? (I consider myself a good shot, able to stack clover leafs or better at 100 yds with my .223 and 30-06 so i don't know that its me)

Do you all run a patch through your barrel every few shots much the same you would a flintlock? Does that make a difference in inlines??

Also i've read elsewhere guys drilling out the fire (flash) hold at the end of the breech plug because the hole is so much smaller at the end then where the primer sits. (I think they're using a 1/8" drill bit?) Is this recommended???

Any advise is greatly appreciated

-KT

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."

Last edited by Killin'time; 08-27-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Regular Visitor

One thing you MUST do when shooting Pyrodex, American Pioneer, Triple 7 IS SWAB THE BORE between EVERY shot! It is a 100% MUST in order to obtain accuracy.

I'd drop the charge down to 2 pellets of the Whitehots. My best advice, switch to Blackhorn209 and Never look back at any other powder in that rifle.

Yes, using the drill bit to clean the flash channel is highly important. I run one every 10 shots or so. Carbon is an accuracy killer that great affects accuracy.

This is a CVA Accura V2 I set up for an online buddy. Take a look at what a clogged up breech plug can do for your accuracy. Be sure to watch the video in the highest quality setting.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Part of the Community

I never would have believed that if I hadn't seen it. Thanks for some very helpful information .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 AM
New Arrival

I have the same gun; also purchased for hunting in MD. You have to try alot of different combos and they say every gun is different.

I get real good groups with 150 grain IMR whitehots and 260gr harvester scorpion pt gold. I also swab between each shot.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have the MR and get great 100yd groups with 3 white hots and 260gr scorpions also. I swab every 3 shots. The crush rib is very easy to load after shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170620_144340_1504831540420.jpg (699.6 KB, 4 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM

My CVA Optima V2 shoots great with 100 gr of BH 209 and a TC 200 gr Shockwave. CVA makes a breechplug specifically for BH 209, and I put it in my rifle.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm new to this also.....ML in general.
I bought an Optima V2 a few weeks ago, expecting to have all the greatness that I've always heard about in line ML.
It was terrible....3" @ 100 yards.....certainly minute-of-deer but nothing like what I was expecting......again I'm totally new to ML.
Accuracy wasn't good and....I was getting a lot of blowback.....prime side of the breech plug was black.
I tried a few powders & pellets, bullets and primers. Alone with a lot of range time this past month.
I also read a lot online and tried to piece my problem together.
It seems that CVAs can require a little tweaking.
I ended up with SSTs, two 50gr Pyrodex pellets, Rem Kleenbore primers and a little tweaking.....pretty consistently shooting 1" @ 100 yards now.
Again.....I'm new to ML. Just trying to pass on how I fixed a similar problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Regular Visitor

Install one of these into the primer pocket, it seals up the primer blow by 100%. It will take a little more flick of the wrist to close the gun, but it will settle after a handful of shots once the o ring shrinks down a bit.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=rgsfbp
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yep, that's what I used.
Cheap easy fix.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

I just started shooting my new V2 MR and I went with all of the manufacturers recommendations - Powerbelts w/ whitehots. I'm shooting 250 gr powerbelts with two white hots and I was pleased with my groups at 65 yards. Every CVA video I've watch have really pushed this combo and apparently power belts are better than sabots because they don't leave plastic residue in the barrel. I've also heard that the higher charge (3 pellets) isn't preferred. The way I see it is if a manufacturer is pushing a certain combo for a certain gun it's probably a good one. I was running a wet and dry patch after each shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page