Boar hunt with my flinter!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County
Boar hunt with my flinter!!

I got the chance to hunt russian boars today at Whispering Hollows Exotic Hunting Preserve. I took the my Lyman flinter 50 cal Hunter. I loaded 5gr fff, 90 2ff 777 and a 245 aerotip powerbelt. There were 4 of us hunting ( 3 high powers, 1 flintlock) with a guide and another guide took the non hunters on the drives.

We walked into the 400 acre preserve and started seeing all types of game. We saw hogs immediately but all were out of range. The guides explained the lay of the land and set up for the first drive. We were posted in a deep steep sided hollow and waited for the drive to come over the mountain. The first hogs broke over the hill and ran up high giving none of us a shot. Then 2 came down of off the mountain side. The first was a white russian boar and the second a black hog. Our guide, Shawn, said that the white boar would be a nice one to shoot. He asked for shooters and everyone kinda looked at each other. With no time to debate I stepped up and said "Here we go!" The hog came down the hillside from my right and stopped broadside giving me a 78yd. uphill shot. I put the flinter up agin the tree and began to squeeze. Just as I hoped, CLICKBOOM!! The guys said they saw the bullet hit the hog before the smoke blocked thier view. I could see it went straight down and it looked like a front shoulder shot. It managed to go across the hillside above us about 40yds before it laid down still alive but hurtin bad.

Shawn advised that it would be best if I made another shot to ensure the kill. I walked up cautiously within about 15yds. and made the shot. What a good time! We had been in woods about a half hour and I had killed a 200lbs boar! With the pressure off I was able to enjoy the rest of the day without worrying about being the last guy to shoot.

The guys at WHEGP were awesome. Our guides, Lenn and Shawn were great to hunt with and with the help of our 3 non hunters put on a bunch of drives with one putting 51 hogs down over the mountain past our 2 shooters. We got 2 in the morning and went in for lunch and then were going back out.

Shawn said they had a Fallow deer buck that had been injured and they needed to get it harvested. I volunteered to take the shot should we run across it. On the last drive before lunch they spotted it in a hollow below where they were driving. The deer had an internal hip injury that would not allow it to run for very long distances before collapsing. It was obvious that it was in bad shape. Although it was not a very exciting harvest it was good to put an injured animal out of it's misery.

At the beginning of the first drive, after lunch, 2 hogs came down off the hill and gave the last 2 shooters their chance. The did well and the day was over.

Shawn and Lenn dressed and skinned the hogs for transport and we packed them up and headed home.

I never thought that hunting a "preserve" was something that I would do. I am happy to say that it was a great time and provided a serious hunting challenge to all of us. The hogs were very wary and did not stand around and wait for you to shoot them. They were fast and as our guys will tell you, moved around over a large portion of the 400 acres.

A big thanks to Shawn and Lenn (I apologize for any misspellings on thier names)for thier efforts and hospitality!! I recommend to anyone looking to try this type of hunting to give them a look and see what ya think. They are a family run operation and really made us feel at home.Great people,Good food, plenty of game, good conditions and great time had by all!!

A special thanks to Shawn's young son who gave me a personal tour and some history of the area around the farm too!! http://www.whisperinghollows.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Boar hunt with my flinter!!

Jody nice work. Start saving some cash for the mounts....

happy now.... lol

Don't Gobble at me...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes. Thanks. Jerk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Congrats!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Sage

Congrats!!

Enjoyed your hunt report/pics!!

Till ya smoke an ole wild boar with a flinter..you havent really explored what smokin is all about IMO!! A quick reload on a lil deer (if needed) is no big deal but on a [censored] off 300 lb boar...another matter!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
New Arrival

Is that one of the guides with you in the picture?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes it is. Unpaid but been huntin with him for over 20 years and he's been the best dog I have ever had. Takes great care of his buddies and does not complain much if you feed him well at lunchtime!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
The Man

Wow, that's a great looking boar, and with the flintlock too. Congrats!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Part of the Community

Jester, is that who I think it is from Sandy Lake (Full Fan)

Excellant shot on the boar. Did he scream, how far did he run?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Ran about 40 yds. No screaming. Yep, that's who you think it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page