3 powders, 2 bullet weights, many results! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

3 powders, 2 bullet weights, many results!

I did this a couple days ago. I always hear, the 245gr Powerbelt doesn't shoot good in my gun, I use Such and such powder, tried the 295 powerbelts and they worked perfect and shrunk my groups greatly!

I decided to go ahead and use One rifle" CVA Accura V2", Two bullet weights "245 & 295" One primer, Hodgdons Big Three Pellet powder. The Big Three being, IMR White Hots, Pyrodex Pellets and Triple 7 pellets, all in 100gr Charge.

Making sure everything was equal i went and swabbed between shots for best accuracy, and mainly to be able to get the next bullet seated.

These targets were shot from 75 yards, and to be honest, No pellets offered me the accuracy that i desire and know the rifles can produce.

Starting out with 100gr IMR White Hots and a 245gr Powerbelt, Heres the result:
Now i did take 4 shots because shot #3 hit the bulls eye, i found that odd that it threw it off so far so i took another shot after cleaning and to my surprise, it hit down with that shot.

Changing targets, i again used the IMR White Hots, but this time the 295gr Powerbelt.

Having completed the IMR White Hot test, it was time to clean AGAIN, and load up with the 245gr Powerbelt and 100gr Triple 7 pellets.

100gr Triple 7 Pellets- 295gr Powerbelt.

Already i could see that both bullets with the Triple 7 and shrunk down greatly with just the powder change.

Taking the Quick Release Breech plug out and setting it up on the Best Gun Vise, i proceeded to clean the bore of the Triple 7 fouling. This powder produces some of the worse, hard to clean crusty crud ring i have ever dealt with. This fouling is baked on solid and took 4 patches to clean between shots where as the Pyrodex and IMR's only took one patch, using both sides.

T7 Crud ring,

Going over to 100gr Pyrodex Pellets and the 245gr Powerbelt i was very happy with the first two shots dead center of the bulls eye! Shot Three however wandered off.

Now switching over to the 295 powerbelt with 100gr Pyrodex Pellets, i did NOT expect this at all!

While most of the powders and bullet combo's produced decent hunting size groups, i didn't want to end it feeling poorly so i loaded Five powder tubes with 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and the 295gr Powerbelts. That actually is 5 shots, one shot apparently threaded into another hole and so it was impossible to figure out which hole it went into.

Now THAT was ending the day on a good note and feeling good about the accuracy it could produce.

It just goes to show you, One bullet may work great with one Powder, but the next bullet, may HATE that powder and not shoot for snot.

Muzzle Loading is a game of spending loads of $$$ on new powders, primers and bullets. Ain't Muzzle loading fun?!!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Part of the Community

Re: 3 powders, 2 bullet weights, many results!

Wish you would have also noted how easy the gun loaded with the 209 also. I don't know why anyone would ever shoot anything else?.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

i agree, its like a loony tunes cartoon where the guy steps on the banana peel! Thats how smooth a bullet loads on a fouled barrel with blackhorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm a pellet guy purely for the sake of being simple. Does anyone know if BH209 will ever be produced in pellets?

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

no, its hard enough to light off in loose form, no way they will ever do pellets.

Get some powder tubes to hold the loose powder in, very simple and better than speed loaders.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM

Just wonderin' Gander if the differences in accuracy had anything to do with the powder's differences in "heat" and bullet length. For instance the different pressures produced may be outside the best velocity for that bullet.

Certain rifling in black powder cartridge guns required big adjustments in powder (all black at that time) to maintain accuracy with different length bullets.

calculating a 1 in 28 twist to the Greenhill formula, the optimum bullet length for a lead core bullet would be 1.34 to 1.6 depending on velocity How do those bullets compare in length? According to Greenhill's theory, a shorter bullet will tend to be unstable. (ie requires faster twist to stabilize) Perhaps the general complaint concerning the shorter lighter powerbelts comes from shooting them in guns having a twist that is slower than optimum. Generally shorter bullets alsotend to destabilize faster than longer bullets as they proceed down range. Comparing the results at 100 yds may well show that in 1:28 guns the short bullets are outside the acceptable "minute of deer"
Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage

Gander...be sure to throw the 348 AeroTip's in the mix next time. I found the 348 to be superior in ALL 1-28 CVA bbls irrespective of powder. The 295's shot very well in my TC FS 1-48 though. 245's....ran some through a 1-66 TC PA Hunter flinter & grouped well. Some good shooting there!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

FG, i am very surprised at that three shot group with the 295 and pyrodex.Now with my CVA wolf i can shoot a group just like you did with the B209.I'm thinking maybe different rifles play a part in accuracy too?Also were these Aero Tips or HP?

BTW..thanks for taking the time to do this test for all of us!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

GWH, These were hollow points. I cast my inserts now and then for them so its just eliminates one step LOL.

As for the bullets pressure, Both the 245 and 295 will group under 1" @ 100 yards with 100gr blachorn209 in this V2. That powder is well over 1,900 FPS. MUCH faster than T7 pellets.

It was a fun test. Next time i am going to use 80gr worth of pellets and redo it all.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Sage

FG...ever try the 348's??? If not...you should based upon my range testing the 245, 295 & 348 in a 1-28 bbl.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in